Quick question.. Pioneer 49tx or Outlaw 950 and amp??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Teddlie, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, I am not new around here however this is one of my first posts :b The time has come to upgrade one of my last pieces of my ~cough~ "Best Buy" HT. In the last few months I have replaced most of my gear. I bought a Mits WS65819,Panny RP91, Diva swans 6.1,C3,and R3's,SVS sub etc etc and I still have my Sony receiver (de845) that I overpaid for 2 years ago at bestbuy [​IMG]While it actually does it's job I really want more power for my speakers, DPL II and some more optical and component inputs.
    Soooo... I want to buy a new receiver. The Outlaw 950 looks really great but the Pioneer has one more component input and the room/speaker calibration feature. I'm leaning towards the Pioneer but like the flexibility the 950 has with the crossovers etc.. I'm pretty new to this so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jonathan_M

Jonathan_M Stunt Coordinator

Jon,

First, welcome to the Forum!

It looks like you've made great progress in upgrading your system so far. For my .02 worth on which way you should go for your receiver, and being a Pioneer 39tx owner, I would recommend the Pioneer. I've had no trouble with mine at all, the power is ample for the speakers I drive, and aesthetically, it matches well with the rest of my components and cabinet. The build quality is solid... all in all, a very nice unit. I would definitely buy Pioneer again.

I haven't had any experience with the Outlaw equipment, but many here have. Maybe someone here has owned both Pioneer Elite and Outlaw and can comment.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Jon: Hi, welcome to the HTF! If I were you, I'd try to be patient and wait for the 950 to be released before I made my decision. In the meantime, I'd get on the Outlaw 950 preorder list and try to demo the Pioneer receiver. Also, IMO, regardless of the quality of the component switcher in the 950 and the Pioneer units, if possible, I'd go directly to the Mits HDTV for video and use the TV input selector to switch between inputs. That way, you avoid any degrading of the signal and save yourself the cost of another set of component cables. Most components do not have OSD through the component outputs anyway so you will still need a S-video connection to use that regardless.

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Wait a second...he said he wants to buy a new receiver. He means the Outlaw 1050, not 950 right? The 950 is a pre/pro. He's surely not going to get any power out of that sucker.[​IMG]

5. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, keep the opinions coming...

I need more component inputs I have 3 gaming systems,DVD, and my HD DTV reciever all of wich use component outputs.

Evan I plan on buying the 770 amp if I get the Outlaw 950..

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest