quick question: mdf or laminate board?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoelTW, Apr 4, 2003.

1. JoelTW

JoelTW Stunt Coordinator

My dad suggested laminate board (the kind with multiple layers?) for my sonotube end caps. I don't know why he thinks it's better than MDF. So, can i have some quick opionions since I'm about to go buy some.

I heard MDF resonates better? :b

2. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I don't think that it resonates "better", just less. It is more acoustically dead. As for the laminate vs MDF, I don't think you'd notice a difference soundwise since it makes up so little of the final product. Maybe some of the experts can confirm this(or prove me 100% wrong[​IMG] )

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

The main element when building a sub enclosure is for it to be rigid. MDF naturally has more "flex" than a good plywood so generally it would need to be braced better. But most here would say that EVERY sub should be braced well so it's really a moot point. For those of us on a budget MDF is significantly cheaper though. [​IMG]

Since you're using a Sonotube, I think MDF would be the way to go since it is heavier. This will give you more weight at the bottom to reduce the odds of it tipping over. For a sonosub just make sure the end caps are nice and tight and you should be good to go.

By the way, I'm just over the boarder in Ft. Mill/Rock Hill if you want a hand. Feel free to send me an email. [​IMG]

4. JoelTW

JoelTW Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

thanks for your input guys. I just ran and got a bunch of stuff from Home Depot. Man, I spent almost an hour in line their computers died or something. [​IMG]

Dan, my dad is gonna help me out thanks for the offer though! [​IMG]

gonna get started tonight [​IMG]