Quick Question - MALE Facial Care

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by NolanJ, Feb 12, 2006.

1. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

OK, so in what order do you do these three things:

shower, shave, apply moisturizer

My girlfriend insists I start using moisturizer for my face, but I'm not sure when to use it. Help a brotha out!

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

"I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion."

-Patrick Bateman-

3. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Shower, Shave and Rub my face with a Brillo Pad.

Manly....YES !![​IMG]

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I do this.
    In the shower I wash my face with Nivea for Men extra gentle face wash (my skin is fragile [​IMG]). Twice a week I will exfoliate with Nivea for Men face scrub.
    I only shave a few times a week so on days I shave: I shave and then use NFM soothing lotion on areas I've shaved. On the rest of my face and on days I don't shave I use the NFM extra soothing moisturiser.

That's my daily system. [​IMG]

Check out this site

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I shave in the shower. It's a much better shaving experience. Just get a cheap fog-free mirror from Wal-Mart to see if shaving in the shower is for you. If it is, then you can get a better mirror that will last longer.

6. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Seth, can you recommend a better mirror? The ones I get only stay fog free for a few weeks. Found wipes that re-coat the mirror with anti fog, uh, stuff. But that lasts a few days.

Back on topic...Moisturize after showering and shaving would seem to make sense to me. But I don't know why.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

What I do is, I shave by feel in the shower, then do touch-up work right when I get out (while my face is still moist)

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Well, this is the one I plan to get after my wife and I move in a couple months. It's expensive, but it attaches to your water line and runs water into the mirror. This makes the temperature the same on the inside and outside of the mirror which keeps it from fogging up. This is supposed to be far superior to the chemicals used in cheaper mirrors.

Here's the one I plan to get: http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...atid__43479900

They also make a less expensive version that I've seen at the store, but I couldn't find it on their website. It uses the same method, but doesn't have the magnification or the light on it. I think it goes for about $60

9. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

"OK, so in what order do you do these three things:

shower, shave, apply moisturizer

My girlfriend insists I start using moisturizer for my face, but I'm not sure when to use it. Help a brotha out!"
    ---------------------------------

This is the correct order...

shower, shave, apply moisturizer. The moisturizer is the last thing you apply. It is suppose to help your skin retain moisture; thus keeping it looking younger and healthier.

10. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

In chronological order....shower.

Mort (who finds shaving barbaric [​IMG] )

11. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Exactly what I was thinking. I always try to model my lifestyle after Patrick Bateman.[​IMG] :b

Anyway, serious question for you, Nolan: Do you think you need to use moisturizer? Zillions of men since the dawn of time have gone without moisturizer and they seemed to make it through life just fine.

12. Spencer M

Spencer M Extra

Bed Bath Beyond has a selection of shaving mirrors. They range in price from 8-30 bucks. I bought the 10" $20 one and it doesn't fog but does require a spray of soapscum remover every month or so.

13. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I used to shave before the shower, none of that moisturizer or aftershave stuff for me. When I shaved after or during showers, no matter how careful I was,I found I cut very easily.

I dont really shave anymore.

Ive had a goatee forever but the past few years, have just been wearing a beard. I was only getting 1&1/2 use from each razor and theyre expensive.

I use a electric and scissors to clean it up once a week and take it down when it gets a bit unruly.

Ill actually shave it off and begin again maybe once every few months.

14. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I shave with an electric razor, then shower and apply moisturizer.

Laugh if you will, but my best friends wife started me using Mary Kay facial products and in just a couple months I have gotten lots of compliments on how much younger my skin looks. I use the TimeWise face wash in the shower and follow that with TimeWise moisturizer when I get out.

I'm 28, but since I spend so much time in the sun, my fiancee said I looked in my early 30's when we met 7 months ago. Now after using the Mary Kay stuff for a couple months, she and other people say my skin looks like I'm 24 or 25 again.

15. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I shave in the shower, and use Clinque for Men. I love the face scrub once a week. That's when I change blades, and man, that gives a smooth shave.

Then, some face soap, and afterward, post shave healer and some M-lotion on my dry spots.

I wish my complexion showed some sign of the trouble I go through.

16. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I have very sensitive skin, and exema to boot. Here's what I use, to stay mostly blemish free:

Don't shave in the winter, the wild Rasputin beard look is hot with the ladies. Otherwise, shave.

I then use Body Shop Tea Tree oil daly facial soap, and twice a week I use the exfoilitaing scub. This well get the shaving cream off, as well as any other dirt on your face.

Next, I use the freshiner in the same line, you just wipe it all over your face with a cotton ball/pad. This gets rid of remaining soap traces and oily spots.

Than the gel moisterizer, as the freshiner can dry out your face.

I tried the nivia for men, but the scent in it (I pressume it's ythe scent) made me break out. The Tea tree oil line at the body shop has no added perfume, and is pretty much the only product I have used that doesn't make me break out.

17. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

1- Use combat knife to break ice in ammo can.
    2- Lather up using shaving brush & Lye soap.
    3- Scrape face using straight razor that hasn't been sharpened since the Normandy invasion.
    4-Apply protective layer of camo makeup.

18. James T

James T Screenwriter

You don't happen to work for Nivea, do you? [​IMG]

I use Nivea face scrub as well and use it daily, then again, I shave daily (or should, but some days, I'm just too damn lazy).

I also like to shave in the shower. The sliding doors have a mirror on them, so I don't need any store bought mirrors to assist me.

I tried shaving after my shower a couple times and didn't like it. It wasn't a smooth shave and I think I cut myself pretty bad too [​IMG]

19. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

Hah, I wish. It would save me a few bucks.
    Nah, I just stumbled across their product and liked it a lot.

20. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Remember sunscreen is your friend. No matter what skin colour you are, everyone should be sun smart.