1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

quick question - audio channel indicator lights

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reid K, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Okay when I set my new Yamaha RXV-730 to pro logic two it only shows the Left and right speakers as being present should it be like this? Also on DD there is no sign of the sub being present but I sure can hear it.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Most likely it displays the incoming channels. E.g. my marantz displays only the front two, and automatically applies PLII, yet does not illuminate any other channels because there it is only 2-channel at those points. In fact, even when down-mixing for 2-channel, it shows all 6 (or 7 on DTS ES disc). Still, with 5.1 mixes, the sub light should illuminate. Experiment with various discs.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The sub indicator light on most receivers is like the other speaker indicator lights in that it illuminates to indicate which channels are active in the source material.

For any incoming signal without a dedicated LFE channel, the sub light will usually stay off, and even with LFE channel will only light when that channel is active, so during playback of 5.1 sources it will blink on and off.

The indication of only 2 speakers during PL II processing means the source material is 2 channel stereo and has no Pro-Logic encoding. The reciever will apply PLII processing to it anyway and you will get surround sound.

If you were playing a 2 channel source that does have Pro-Logic coding, you'd get the 2 front and one rear speaker indicator lights illuminated--find a dvd with an audio track labelled "Dolby Surround" (NOT Dolby Digital 5.1) to confirm this. Often Spanish or French audio tracks on dvd's with DD5.1 English will be plain Dolby Surround.

4. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Oh Okay so if I was playing a gamecube game that is encoded in PL2 all of them should illuminate?

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Since PLII is an analog matrix surround format coded onto 2 channel stereo, just like old style PL, when playing it back you should see the 2 mains and one surround indicator light on the reciever.

6. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Thanks what does this surround light look like roughly?

7. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

The 730 will only indicate what channels are present in the current source content you're playing and even if it doesn't indicate the LFE or Subwoofer channel present in the source it will still play if you have it active and the front speakers set to small as well as LFE to sub only. With PL II it will always display 2 channels even with Gamecube games that are "encoded" in PLII, One last thing is the Yamaha does not indicate a mono rear like Sony's do so you wont see a "surround" indicator unless its 5.1 or 6.1 content that is being played then you'll see either the LR RR or the LR CR RR lit on the receiver's display.