Quick question about Xbox RJ-45 port

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I don't know much about this, but a friend asked me, so I figured I'd ask here:

The RJ-45 port on the Xbox is used for the Xbox live online gaming system. I am also under the impression that this port is used for directly linking two Xbox consoles. Is this correct?

If you do link 2 directly- what cable do you use? Does it need to be a crossover cable? I assume it works like and NIC card- unit to unit would use a crossover, and going to a hub would be a standard Cat5/RJ45 cable.

Am I right?

-Vince

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's standard Ethernet port. You can plug it into a hub or use a crossover cable

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Can you link two machines together in this manner (with a crossover cable)? Is there any games that support linking two xboxes together in this manner? My friend asked about it as if he knew it was possible, but I couldn't find anything specific about this online...

-Vince

4. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

6. Eric S M

Eric S M Agent

All the games that I have that support system-system linkage will also support linking multiple systems through a hub. The biggest gothca in this whole equation seems to be the number of people who can play on each xbox while linked. For instance, Halo allows up to 16 players total, but you can have 4 per xbox with 4 xboxes. However, MotoGP only allows 1 player per xbox with up to 16 boxes. I think Ghost Recon is the same way as I cannot figure out how to get more than 1 person playing on mine during system link.

Great fun and an extremely easy lan party to setup as long as you have the TVs.

Eric