What's new

Quick question about Xbox RJ-45 port (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I don't know much about this, but a friend asked me, so I figured I'd ask here:

The RJ-45 port on the Xbox is used for the Xbox live online gaming system. I am also under the impression that this port is used for directly linking two Xbox consoles. Is this correct?

If you do link 2 directly- what cable do you use? Does it need to be a crossover cable? I assume it works like and NIC card- unit to unit would use a crossover, and going to a hub would be a standard Cat5/RJ45 cable.

Am I right?

-Vince

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Can you link two machines together in this manner (with a crossover cable)? Is there any games that support linking two xboxes together in this manner? My friend asked about it as if he knew it was possible, but I couldn't find anything specific about this online...

-Vince

Scott "E"

Second Unit
Is there any games that support linking two xboxes together in this manner?
Quite a few actually,
Deathrow
Ghost Recon
Halo
Mech Assault
Moto GP
NASCAR Heat
NFL Fever 2003
Tony Hawk 2X, 3, and 4
Whacked
Another plus is the ability to play any of these games online through
Link Removed or Link Removed. While Xbox Live is still a better experience, you still can't play Halo through it :).

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I assume it works like and NIC card- unit to unit would use a crossover, and going to a hub would be a standard Cat5/RJ45 cable.
Dead on. Something else to be aware of: I don't know how many games besides Halo support it, but in Halo you can link up not just two, but up to four Xboxes together. At 4 people per 'box, that's a whole lotta fraggin'! :)

Eric S M

Agent
All the games that I have that support system-system linkage will also support linking multiple systems through a hub. The biggest gothca in this whole equation seems to be the number of people who can play on each xbox while linked. For instance, Halo allows up to 16 players total, but you can have 4 per xbox with 4 xboxes. However, MotoGP only allows 1 player per xbox with up to 16 boxes. I think Ghost Recon is the same way as I cannot figure out how to get more than 1 person playing on mine during system link.

Great fun and an extremely easy lan party to setup as long as you have the TVs.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks