What's new

Quick question about TV on DVD aspect ratio (1 Viewer)

AnthonyR

Agent
Hi! Newbee question about aspect ratio. I have a 42" Panansonic HD plasma and on the box of the Seinfeld Season 1 & 2 shows the aspect ratio as "Full Screen 1.33:1" does this mean I'll have the hated black bars on the right and left side of my plasma? I don't want to open the DVD to find out because I'll need to return it if I do get the black bars.

Also, I have the complete first season of The Munsters and that fills the screen perfectly but its labeled "Full Frame 1.33:1" whereas the Seinfeld is "Full Screen 1.33:1"

Thanks for any help!

Tony

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Tony - I believe you have an option to have the stretch mode in place for your plasma. This is probably what is happening with your Munsters dvd. This is the aspect ratio that it was filmed in just like Seinfeld was. Remember, when Seinfeld was first on TV, it pretty much pre-dated HD and everything was a 1.33:1 ratio. Full Frame and Full Screen in essence mean the same thing.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1) Any time your TV and the material you're watching differ in aspect ratio, you will get bars (unused picture area) unless you stretch, skew, or cut off part of the picture. This should not be seen as "dreaded," rather as a necessary element of watching mixed ratio media on a fixed ratio device PROPERLY.

2) The munsters TV dvd, like the seinfeld dvd, and a good number of TV productions-- are filmed in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio. If the munsters "filled your screen"- this means you were likely using a stretch or zoom mode to either elongate the image (making everyone appear fat) or by cropping the top and bottom (losing the visual compsoition of the original image).

Any material you put on your plasm set can "fill the screen" completely- regardless of aspect ratio- you will just be streching the image out or cutting off part in order to do it...

3) Although many here are senstive to the possibility of screen burn from the black bars-- I find the concern to be completely overblown- and still continue to give the same advice I started giving here 5 years ago: Watch the program, not the bars.

-V

PS; SInce your question is not really about Seinfeld, and more about aspect ratios in general, i have changed your thread title.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I agree whole-heartedly with Vince's advice, with just the caveat that plasma sets are notoriously more susceptible to burn-in than CRT-based sets. If I had plasma, I might be more willing to tolerate stretching a 1.33:1 image. In fact, that's a big reason why I don't have one.

M.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I've been watching 4X3 material correctly (in 4X3 mode) on my 16X9 CRT set for three years and there isn't a trace of burn-in. I agree, it is a VERY overblown concern.

I'm glad my set puts up black side bars, though....I'd hate the gray ones I've seen on 16X9 RPTVs.

As for the SEINFELD DVDs, don't return them, they are correct. If you can't stand the side bars or stretch mode, simply watch them on the 4X3 set you very likley have in another room.

richardWI

Second Unit
Tony, if your DVD Player is in progressive scan mode, try switching it to regular mode for full frame shows. My widescreen phillips will stretch full frame movies as well if the DVD is in progressive scan.

AnthonyR

Agent
Thanks for all the information guys! My Panny only has 4:3, full or zoom, full is the default setting, believe it or not but this Seinfeld DVD looks just fine in full, 4:3 setting they look too skinny with gray bar on each side of the picture. It looks nothing like stretching a native 4:3 to full and everybody in the picture looks fat...go figure.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks