What's new

Quick question about receivers (1 Viewer)

JosephVales

Auditioning
I have been wondering why some ht receivers tend to shut off during peak points of bass or loud sound on dvds. Is this caused by having too much power going through a surge protector or could it be that the subwoofer is pulling too much power?

My setup is a Kenwood VR-7060 with a Panasonic Tau 34" HDTV. My surge protector connects those two sources plus an Xbox and a digital cable box. Is there anything that I could do that could prevent the receiver from shutting off. I am going to try plugging the tv into the wall plug instead. My thinking is that it might be drawing too much power? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Shutting off is usually a safety feature that's caused by the receiver getting too hot! It protects it.
Do you have good connections on both ends of speaker wire? Make sure they aren't frayed and a piece of wire sticking out and touching something else. It can also be caused by driving 4 ohm speakers, with a receiver that's meant to drive 8 ohm or higher. This happens at high volumes.
Does your receiver have plenty of breathing room? Good air circulation around it? May want to put a small fan blowing on it to help keep it cooler.
Good luck!

Sean_Oz

Grip
As I have found out, the hard way, a speaker malfunction can cause the receiver to shut off as well!

JosephVales

Auditioning
It was a frayed wire. We double checked it, now everything is much clearer, thanks for the help you guys.

Joseph Vales

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks