What's new

quick question about Panasonic XR-45 (1 Viewer)

Steve Satch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyonne,
I'm seriously considering buying the Panasonic XR-45 or the XR-70. My only question before I buy is about the high sub X-over. I've read here that one must run front speakers as large or it doesn't sound good. My question is can I/should I run *my* speakers as large and what would it sound like if I did or did not. My speakers and the little nOrh 4.0 ceramic and my sub is the Adire Dharman. Some info about the nOrh 4.0:

The freq response is rated as 70-20,000 Hz
the 10dB downpoint is rated as 55 Hz
sensitivity is 87 dB

Thanks for any thoughts on the issues of whether these speakers would be a good match with the high X-over of the Panasonic

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

There's lots of stuff you can read here, not all based on sound evidence. Any reason given for the above?

Based on your speakers specs, it sounds like the 100Hz crossover would be much better suited to your speakers than one that was lower. Set them as "small".

Steve Satch

Stunt Coordinator
All the various boards there are many threads about the Panasonic. I've seen many posts that talk about how bad it sounded at first, until the person remembered the factory preset is front speakers "small" and as soon as they went to "large" it sounded good.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
So, how do you think your front speakers wil perform when you send all the bass to them instead of to a sub? -10dB @ 55Hz?

Steve Satch

Stunt Coordinator
That's why I was asking if this was the right receiver for me. Can't the Panasonic send bass info to both front speakers and the sub?

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

You don't want it to for 3 reasons. First, the ceramic nOrh's well play midrange better if relieved of bass

Steve Satch

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps this is not the receiver for me then since so many people said it did not sound well with the front speakers set to small

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
You're still not getting it.

Read up on bass management, crossover frequencies, roll-off etc.

If you want to have near full range sound from your main speakers replace your nOrh's with floorstanding speakers.

I would not set your main speakers to large.

I've tried setting large to standmount speakers (roughly the same frequency response as your's) the sound quality degrades signficantly. You will get more bass, but this is mainly driver distortion and not clean bass. You are more likely to cook your bass drivers at higher sound pressure levels. And it'll sound bad. Set to a higher crosssover ie 80hz, and re-route

Blaine P

Agent
I think what Satch is concerned about is if your main speakers are set to 'small', the Panasonic sets the crossover at 100, yet a good quality bookshelf may go down to 55 - 60. In this situation, do you lose all frequency below 100 in your main speakers? I always thought the ideal crossover was at 80 (THX?). Based on Satch's info, it looks as though this is only obtainable with the Panny with the mains set to 'large'?

Please let me know if I am way off as I am a newbie in the most literal sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks