What's new

Quick question about my dvd player.. (1 Viewer)

Jamerson

Auditioning
I recently bought my first progressive scan dvd player (Panasonic) along with some Monster Video 3 component cables. Much to my dismay I don't notice any improvement after comparing them side by side with regular video output. I notice my (Hitachi) Television is 540p, the dvd player is 480p, do they have to be the same in order to function correctly?

Thanks,
Jaime

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you don't calibrate your player for the component cable and prog output, you won't see a difference.

James_SCEA

Agent
Jamerson,

Keep in mind that the dvd player's 480p and your Hitachi's 540p do not have to be the same in order for it to function. If anything the picture quality should improve because your hitachi will upconvert a 480p image instead or 480i to 540p. Don't forget to activate the progressive scan feature on the player!

:star:

Jamerson

Auditioning
Thanks for the help.. guess I'll check out one of those Video Essentials dvds. Yeah prog scan is activated on my player, it was actually pretty tough to find the setting!

Although I'm somewhat skeptical that calibration will help much.. mabey I just don't understand it. Is it similar the the 'THX Optimode' feature on my Fight Club dvd? How much can be improved by merely playing with my tv's contrast settings..? I don't see how my tv has enough tools to make any significant adjustments. And I'd rather have my own settings anyways, I prefer a bright picture.

But even uncalibrated, shouldn't I see some kind of difference? I'll pause a dvd and switch my tv back and forth from 1080i and 540p, and also compare with normal video plugged into a different input.. they all look *exactly* the same to me.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I am not familiar with that TV Jamerson, but since you say that it is 540p (is it PAL?), it may be that the TV’s electronics were already converting the 480i input into sort of a progressive scan via line doubling.

Some HDTVs line doublers are very good—as good as many progressive scan DVD players. This may be the case with your TV.

Jamerson

Auditioning
Aha, yeah I called a Hitachi tech support line once and they told me something to that effect.. I thought he was making stuff up, heh. Mabey that's it.. hmm too bad it took $150 to find that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks