Quick question about Mitsubishi HDTV's...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

My neighbor just called me to ask why he still has black bars on the top and bottom of The Phantom Menace on the new Mitsubishi 65" widescreen he just got delivered today[​IMG] I own a Toshiba, so I need to which picture mode he needs to keep his TV set to for optimum anamorphic dvd-viewing pleasure. Thanks.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

With a wide screen TV first set the DVD player to 16:9 and leave it there. Now choose whatever aspect ratio on the TV looks right. In most cases it will be the 4:3 mode (still called normal on many sets) for ordinary broadcasts, a zoom mode for non-anamorphic wide screen letterbox movies, and 16:9 mode (often called full) for anamorphic movies.
    If the movie was not filmed at exactly 16:9 it will still have some black areas at top and bottom (or at the sides) unless there was so much overscan that those black areas were outside the screen. However if you really want to you can go into the service mode and use the height and width adjustments to stretch the picture any way you want, for example to exactly fit the screen although some flaws such as misconvergence may creep in.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm