Quick question about fixed vs. variable audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny V, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Johnny V

Johnny V Agent

I am looking to get a 32" 4:3 TV to replace my old 25" Magnavox (leftover from college). I am seriously looking at the Toshiba 32A41 but I see that it has fixed audio output vs. similar sets from JVC or Panny that have variable output. My question is, if I hook it up directly to my receiver to listen to regular cable TV, will I be able to turn the volume on the TV all the way down or off so that the sound comes out of my HT speakers only? Does fixed mean that if you turn the sound down on the TV that it will also "turn down" the audio output? And if that is the case, will I be able to just turn off the TV speakers completely?

Thanks for your help.

According to crutchfield's glossary on their site it seems like fixed vs. variable has to do with which remote operates the sound???

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    The answer should be "Yes".

Fixed output generally means line-level output; it's equivalent to the output you get from your CD or DVD player. The TV's volume does not affect the volume you'll get using a fixed output.

Variable output is somewhat amplified (above line-level) and is also controlled by the TV volume. The TV's volume will affect the volume you'll get using a variable output.

However, the caveat is that manufacturer's sometimes define their own terms. For example, "Open Tray" and "Disk Exchange" have opposite meanings between my roommate's CD changer and my parents' new DVD changer.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Johnny,

I have a Toshiba 27A40 with fixed audio out and it works as you expect. Plut it into L/R inputs on your receiver and turn down the volume on the tv and you're all set. Unfortunately, my model Toshiba does not have a speaker on/off setting but I have seen it on some of the newer models, perhaps just the flat screen line.

cheers,

--tom

4. Johnny V

Johnny V Agent

Thanks for the help guys.[​IMG]

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Actually the variable output is usually an attenuated line out rather than amplified. This is why a speaker off option is added to most sets because the TV volume has to be set very high to avoid hum and noise pickup.