quick question about advice from a Sears salesman

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tom#B, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Tom#B

Tom#B Stunt Coordinator

I know this is fairly elemental for most of you, but I needed to have a definitive answer on this. I was at Sears over the weekend and I was listening to a salesman talk to a customer about a widescreen rear projection set. One of the baseball playoff games was being shown. The actual game appeared to fill the 4/3 portion of the screen, and the sides had black bars with gray "HD" written through it. The salesman explained to the customer that their feed was satellite, and that it was displaying in high def. He said the only way to get the high def display was with the black bars on the side. He said he could remove the black bars, but that the picture would no longer be in high def. Isn't that backwards? Isn't high def always broadcast in 16/9 format?
    I also wondered how long those RP's sit with those same black bars on the side. Another example of why buying the display model is risky?

Tom

2. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

Yes you are correct. The Sears salesman had no idea what he was talking about. To be hi def, it's got to be in 16x9 and 5.1 dolby digital (with 1080i or 720p lines of resolution).
    Odds are, either they didn't have a hi def signal and they weren't using a stretch mode on the TV, or it was a hi def feed but that particular baseball game was not being broadcast in HD (meaning the TV can't stretch it because it sees the feed coming in as HD)

And you are right, if a store constantly leaves a CRT based (or plasma) with the bars at the side, you DEFINATELY don't want that display unit!

3. John S

John S Producer

FOX had pretty decent 16:9 content running on the games yesterday at least... I find it curious somewhat. I would never call that true HD to anybody. Gotta be 16:9 native programming at a minimum.

Hard to say what exactly they had running in these most transitional to HD days.

4. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    John,

I imagine that most TV stations are upconverting the signals. Of course, I can't say that with conviction, because I have no idea if Fox, NBC, or any other network has scrapped thier very expensive broadcast cameras and replaced them with new HD cams.

Unless the camera shooting the broadcast is a true HD camera, it just ain't HD IMO.

I just finished shooting a commercial in true HD and all I can say is wow. It's not just crisp and clean, but so film-like it isn't funny. Goodbye Kodak! (Not a statement I make with any real glee, by the way, I love shooting on film...but after what I saw last week...wow)

Oh and that salesman...not well informed...not informed at all, actually.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

My local HD channels have broadcast programming that sure looks like it's HD resolution but that isn't full 16:9.

6. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

It sounds like they were showing ESPN HD, which puts the HD side bars on SD material. The salesman was correct in saying that he couldn't remove the bars and it still be in HD, if he switched to regular ESPN, he could stretch the picture, but it still wouldn't be in HD.

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    what rocky said [​IMG]

8. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

This isnt true either. I have DirecTv HD, and in this package I have Discovery HD. Not all of their shows are in surround sound, some are just stereo. Infact, last night I watched "Tentacles" it was about cephalopods and if they have a visual language. it was in 2.1

9. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

The broadcasting standard for HD IS in fact 16x9 and surround sound.

If it had the side bars, it wasn't truly HD to begin with. All 'HD Stations' will upconvert conventional 4x3 SD material to HD (and fill the sides of the screen with words or grey or black bars, but it is still not truly HD since it was not filmed in HD (and it surely doesn't resemble the PQ of a true HD broadcast)

10. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

So, if I were to watch a 1080i feed with 2.1 sound with which my reciever sent out a 5.1 sound, your telling me it wouldnt be Hi-Definition?

11. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

Who mentioned audio? Lots of HD just has 2.0 sound, it doesn't make it not HD. We are just talking about the fact that all true HD is 16x9.