Quick Q for vented 281 owners

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Scott Simonian, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I just put my primer paint coat on my cabinets for the 281s I got for Xmas! Im really excited to have em. I got a LCC too just not ready cause the xover is missing some pieces.

Anyway, I was going to cut the center tube for the 3"ID flared kit I got from PE. Its identical to the ones Adire sells.What is the center tube length supposed to be? IIRC, it was a 2.5" length center tube. Is this correct? Also, tonight I dont have any stuffing material, will they be okay without it for 2night? Im not gonna be putting any super high SPLs. Just regular listening levels.

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I think that the overall length should be 8.5", for the 29Hz tuning point, because we're supposed to add an extra inch to compensate for the flares. That means a center tube 3.5" long, right? (I'm not 100% sure how long the flares are.)

I am actually using a non-flared port 11 inches long, for a tuning of 24-25Hz.

3. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

If you're using the 3" Precision Port flared tubes that Adire recommends the center tube length is 2.5". If you're using a straight pipe it should be 7.5" long.

4. Scott Simonian

Thank you and thank you.

[​IMG]

5. Scott Simonian

As of 5 minutes ago, the 281s are running! OMG. Huge...HUGE upgrade in sound quality compared to my last pair. And they are nowhere near broken in yet. This is too cool. The soundstage is enormous.

This is the greatest. Cant wait till I get my LCC up and running. Soon.

[​IMG]

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Scott,

Great! Now all you need is a pair of 400 watt DIY amplifiers. [​IMG]

(By the way, you have no idea how much better the 281s will sound once they break in. The midrange distortion mostly goes away, and the bass gets a little fuller.)

7. Scott Simonian

I wish I could build me set of seven or eight of those amps. Then Id just have to replace the rest of my theater then Id be on my way. [​IMG]

Yeah, the 281s are sounding better every few minutes. Last night I let them run their first hour on Metalica. The treble had the harshness that everyone who had a pair talked about. Didnt bother me. They just sounded like a good version of my speakers that got replaced. Now today, they already sound warmer. I watched LXG for my 1st time. Not really that bad of a movie. The 281s sounded great but the center channel was kinda distracting for me.

When I usually listen to music, I like to use PL2music. Last night, I just played a CD in stereo. So that way I could just listen to the new speakers and not the others. Today, with a movie, ugh! I really, really hate my center channel. It really stood out as how much worse it sounds. And the 281s are still not fully broke in!

When I get my xover parts for the LCC I got for Christmas I might do a little review of how my system is performing now. Got to what a little longer.