What's new

Quick processor question (1 Viewer)

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I need a reccomendation for a basic Ac3/DTS decoder to convert the stream from my PC (Coax or Toslink), then output to a PA system. I don't need any real features other than decoding, although I would like the quality to be as high as possible. (can you buy a processor w/ XLR outs?)

Budget? Well, the alternative is buying a standalone player w/ built in decoder for $400, so as long as it knocks the snot out of that, I'll be happy. If you can keep it around that $4-600 range, awesome. I could spend more, but I don't want to go overboard, unless the quality gain is really worthwhile.

I'll post more info about the project if necessary, thanks for this opportunity to ask questions! Salespeople I've talked to don't really seem to know what they are saying ("just buy a player with built-in decoding, you wouldn't notice the difference anyway"... "DTS? It's not really that much better..."[I look around, notices a complete lack of surround processors on shelves...])

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
how does the Technics SHAC-500d decoder sound? is it still available anywhere? any other options? I like the looks of the Millennium decoder at 5point1.com but it only decodes DTS.
Any other products on the market similar to these?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks