What's new

Quick positioning question from a newbie! (1 Viewer)

Cory

Auditioning
What are some quick speaker positioning guidelines that work across the board? Like center channel height, surround height, front main position, front mains against the wall, out from the wall (how far), pointing to a sweet spot, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

My setup right now consists of my main towers being in the corners of the room (15' apart from each other), all pointing to a "sweet spot" on the loveseat that sits about 15' straight out from the screen. My surrounds are dipole surrounds (fire sound forward and rearward), they are about 7' up from the floor and 7' behind my sweet spot. All speakers are in indentical positions left and right. My center is on top of my tv, pointed down directly at my sweet spot via a director. My front three speakers are laser-aligned (using a laser pointer) to ensure accuracy (as to where they are pointing).

So what do you think? Please let me know!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Dolby has a good layout plan for HT, the basics are pretty much covered. Mains in an arc equidistant, and at ear height, surrounds directly to the side(not really behind, only slightly maybe, perhaps a foot or so, experiment for your room/taste) and slightly above a bit.

I don't know how "in the corner" you mean, but i would try to follow the various ideas in getting your mains out of the corners, differente distances from rear and sidewalls, etc, and place them well with 2-channel music as your listening test as you experiment, and play with toe in as well.

These are good starting points to get you started, but experimenting is usually the best way to do it on your own to get the sound right the way you like it.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
I changed my surrounds like Dolby suggests, and it made a HUGE difference. I never thought that moving them FARTHER, and BEHIND you would make them sound better, but I was wrong. Try it, you'll see. ;) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks