What's new

Directors Quick POLL: Are you a TRUE Completist? (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
A thread over in Software got me thinking about this. It seems some people are picking up the upcoming Star Trek V SE even though they admittedly hate the film. Needless to say I just can't relate to this behavior which is why I'm doing this stupid poll. :)

Most of us here are collectors but that often gets confused with being a completist.

A true completist is someone who is irresistibly compelled to collect all of a particular Film series, Director's/Actor's catalog, etc, even though they hate/dislike some of the films.

Thankfully I've never suffered from this malady. :D

So are you a TRUE Completist?

Cary T

Screenwriter
I used to be a true completist, but I suffer no more from such unfortunate fate :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll third that ditto. :) I did complete my collection of James Bond titles (though most of them were purchased used and therefore, cheap), but anymore I'm not so concerned with such things.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I suffer (as do many on this forum, I think) from being mildly obsessive—but I don’t really need to get all of the films of a series or a director or an actor or all the Criterions.

On the other hand it someone has a copy of Salo I could get on the cheap… ;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I probably have complete sets of some things (e.g., Star Trek: TNG), but it's only when I like everything in the set. I certainly would never buy anything I don't like, and for that reason I don't own every Hitchcock or Wilder or Bogart, etc., nor even the complete Simpsons (I skipped season 1).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not really. If my feelings are lukewarm, I might complete a set - the Bond films are a good example. But I assure you that despite owning the remaining Trek films, I will never purchase or view that monstrosity known as Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. Gahhhhh, what an awful film. I still have memories of viewing that film theatrically on opening weekend; simply one of the worst film experiences of my life.

- Walter.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Me neither. I own 21 Fassbinder DVD's since BRD Trilogy arrived today, but I haven't bought Querelle and likely won't because its the one less than satisfying film of his I've seen.

I own all the Coen Bros. films (except RA because the DVD sucks) but if I don't like Intolerable Cruelty, I won't feel compelled to buy it.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I finally have all the Coen films. I always held off buying Raising Arizona because i'm not a big fan of buying non-anamorphic discs, but I found out about a month ago that the R4 is anamorphic and bought it. It was so great to finally watch the film on DVD, I think i've watched it at least 4 times since buying it. Such a fun movie, forgot how much I loved it.

I wouldn't buy Intolerable Cruelty if it sucks either, but out of 9 Coen Bros. films they haven't let me down yet, they constantly prove why they are my favorite filmmakers.

I'm not really into the Completist thing either, I think the closest I have been is buying the Bond Box Set that had all 19 films with a slot in the box for Die Another Day, and even though I disliked DaD I still bought it :b. That will be the last time I do that.

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
No. I'm glad that I'm not a completist. Otherwise, I would be broke and living out on the street already.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'd say I probably am a completist...but only when it doesn't contradict my personal tastes:

I own Jurassic Park but eBayed the Lost World DVD that came with it...because I freakin' loathe The Lost World.

But I'll own every season of Futurama and The Simpsons once Fox decides to get 'em on the shelves.

I'd love to own all the MST3K episodes currently available on DVD...

...but there's no way I need to own Part 5: A New Beginning - despite the fact that I love the Friday the 13th series.

Matt_Smith

Agent
No, I gave up on being a completest when I could only afford a couple out of the many I wanted at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks