What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Quick! Pioneer CLD-704: Any Good? (1 Viewer)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Update: the deed is done, gang! I picked up the 704 from the vendor this morning. Came complete with all packaging, manuals (english and french), RCA cables, and remote (transport functions light up!). Condition of the unit is pretty good, aside from a little dust, and the odd nick. Gotta say though, that, in my opinion, this thing is one ugly mutha...you know what I mean. Here's the really sweet part: the RF demod unit the fellow included is the B&K DT-1, which performs auto-selecting. I don't know a thing about demod units, but I'm guessing that this alone is worth the price I paid, given the scarcity of these things. Question for you LD gurus: the B&K manual indicates that a PCM signal is passed through the coax input. Can this same signal be passed via the Toslink input? The manual isn't too clear for a nit-wit such as I. And on the subject of PCM tracks, can someone kindly explain their nature to me? Are these tracks on all LDs, and how do they differ from straight stereo tracks?
I imagine I'll have plenty of questions later, so again, I offer everyone my thanks. Cheers!

DS.

P.S. Ed, I'm sure some of these dudes can come to your rescue. They've been plenty of help to me.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I dont think you will be able to get rid of the smear effect. The jurry is still not out out on what causes this effect. Alot of Laser folk think it player model specific but I tend to believe its something else causing the problem. My X9, S9,704, Elite 59 players all have the smear effect to some degree. The CLD 704 being the worst offender.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, the more time I spend with digital noise reduction, the more I realize that, at least on my CLD-D703 (same as 704 but no DD) and LX-900, it always reduces detail more than I am willing to accept. At least when I use it enough to actually have an effect on the noise on my HDTV. On my 27" the softness is less of an issue.

I'd rather have a detailed picture with noise than a soft one without. This is personal preference.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The B&K demod was one of the better units for sure along with the Lexicon and Pioneer RFD-1 (the Lex should be in a different category). The PCM should go through either the coax or optical. I think the BK and Pioneer were similar for the autoswitching and had both opt/coax in and outputs making it quite flexible particularly back when many reveiver/preamp only had a single input. Route the PCM and RF AC-3 plus a CD/DVD player (or other piece) through the spare input and still only use 1 dig input on the preamp.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
Most LD's of late are all digital, so the PCM digital cable can be used. I have mine pass-through connected through my Pioneer RFD-1 demodulator and like yours, it auto-switches for AC3 or digital/DTS. Works fine. LD's come in these flavours:
1)RCA cable output left and right analog into receiver
analog-mono
analog-stereo
2)Digital TOS-link or Digital COAX cable to receiver [But you want to connect to DEMOD if it has auto-switching pass through :) ]
digital-mono (I think? but they are rare, IE Terminator)
digital-stereo
digital-dolby pro logic (kinda the same as digital stereo)
digital-DTS
3)RF out to demodulator and then digital TOS or Coax to receiver
digital-Dolby Digital or AC3
Analog mono and stereo has to be played back via the rca cables for left and right directly from the player I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I can't remember if I ;ve ever listened to an analog disc. Come to think of it, even if the audio on the disc is analog, you might still be able to use the digital cable? I don't think that makes sense as the LD player probably does not have an ANALOG to DIGITAL converter. Wouldn't make sense. I think the analog discs are in fact played back via the RCA cables.
Thats it. Have fun. My 79 (essentially similar to yours) has provided me with lots of movie watching enjoyment :)

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Mattias_ka, 2000 year unit. I have hunch thats its specific disc related, not title related. I need to pick up a few more duplicates of titles I already own that have that smear problem just to be sure.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Sean Dayton Well, I got my X9 last year in august and no problem whatsoever with it. But my LD-S9 that I got now in march had this smearing problems. So I sent the S9 back.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I have yet to hear of any X9 smearing. As similar as the NTSC circuitry is said to be in the two, it makes you wonder. My dynamic duo continues to please!:) Best wishes cats!

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Well Rachael and Mattias_ka , Here is a quick run down on what I have experianced so far. My Elite 59 very slightly smears on a couple of lasers. The X9 smear is very faint on a couple of discs. The 704 and S9 smear is more noticable. My buddy S9, same batch as mine since I brought them both home from Japan last April does not smear at all. Laser titles that will smear in all four Players that I own. Trouble in Mind,The Vanishing WS 1993 remake, Fire in the Sky WS, Wind WS. I also have a duplicate copies of The Vanishing and Trouble in Mind that dont smear. I have two copies of the Golden Eye AC3 laser and neither one smears unlike what others reported over at the AVS thread. Now you two can try to make heads or tails over this issue.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Michael

There is a S9 thread over at AVS where a couple owners did post screen shots. My 704 or S9 smear problem is not as extreme as those screen shots over at AVS.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Sean, I've owned close to 20 players and I've never seen the smearing. I even bought a copy of GOLDENEYE which was reputed to be the best disc to see it on. My S9 and X9 play it about as well as it can play, no smear. My 99 is in the shop and hasn't had a go at it. Josh Zyber (Laserdisc Forever site) had me check some scenes on CON AIR. No smear or severe halo effects that Josh had reported for me.

I'm clueless about it stille, after all the chat. Best wishes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJL
Recent bookmarks