What's new

Quick perception poll on brands (1 Viewer)

Paul Sawyer

Auditioning
No specific sets, but rank these brands of televisions by your preference and knowledge of features, picture quality, overall quality, technology. I am helping a friend out and he percieves one brand far above anyone else. I on the other hand, have a totally different idea as a HT geek.

Here's your choices:

Pioneer(not elite)
Sony
Samsung
Mitsubitshi
Toshiba
RCA

Thank you for your help.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I have owned or own every brand you mention except the non-elite Pioneer, so I guess IMO I would go with:

Toshiba
Sony
Pioneer
Mitsubishi
tie for RCA and Samsung.

Maybe tomorrow I would list Mitsubishi as first, you never know. Bottom line, don't buy for the name if the picture doesn't impress you. IE, A lot of people buy Sony because of the name even when they think the Samsung looks better. Buy whatever looks the best to you. Also, you may want to throw JVC and Panasonic on that list.

Lev-S

Second Unit
RCA
Sony
Toshiba
Mitsubitshi
Pioneer(not elite)
Samsung

Why RCA first? I have 3 RCA sets ranging from 20" color to 13" black and white - All still work beautifully.

Sony - Innovation -> Trinitron, WEGA, 16:9 Squeeze, etc.

Toshiba - Solid, beautiful, CHEAP

Mitsubishi - Never owned one, but their big screens are #1

The Mitsubishi WL-82913 Offers the Following Features:
82 inch Widescreen (16:9)
LCoS Light Engine 3-Chip 1080p x 1920 pixel system with 200 Watt lamp for excellent brightness and resolution.
NetCommand® 3.0 with IR Learning Provides simple icon-based on-screen digital & analog home theater control. Learns most products' IR codes.
AMVP™ Advanced Multimedia Video Processor provides enhanced pixel multiplication, image formats and digital noise reduction.
MediaReader
PerfectColor™ Precision 6-way color correction.
1080p Pixel Resolution
200 Watt Lamp
Diffusion Screen
FireWire® (IEEE 1394) interface
MonitorLink™/DVI HDCP Input
StretchPlus Displays 4:3 pictures on a wide screen with less distortion
DefinEdge™ VSM Enhances image clarity.
Anti-Glare Diamond Shield™
Three 1080i Component Inputs
Auto Film Mode (3:2 Pulldown Compensation)
480-Line Motion-Adaptive 3D Y/C Comb Filter

Impressive!

Pioneer - Overrated? All I know is my PS2 beat out my Pioneer 440 DVD player picture quality wise. Friggin' fastest menu switching though!

Samsung - No comment.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Jed, how about Hitachi too if were talking about RPTV's & Paul you've already got them in the right order :D

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
The question is too broad, as there are too many display types to rank the brands in order without considering a specific technology in the equation. One brand's LCD may best another's LCD, but their CRT's may be vice versa.

Ranking the brands based on CRT RPTV quality the order would be:

Mitsu Diamond
Hitachi
Pioneer
Toshiba, Sony, Samsung and RCA somewhat lower on the ladder in no particular order.

If you hadn't eliminated Pioneer's Elite, I would have tied Pioneer with Mitsu as the top brand.

david stark

Second Unit
Toshiba
Sony
Samsung

I haven't seen the others so can't comment. I looked at a couple of samsung sets recently with a view to buy, but the pic quality wasn't great (could have been a bad setup in the shop though). I'm not a fan of sony wega's, They are not bad or anything, but I think they are overpriced and there is better out there for similar money.

I ended up with a Toshiba HD set recently and although I think the same sized sony HD set was better, it was also twice the price.

Just to put another name forward I like Loewe tv's, but again they are expensive when compared to the likes of samsung, toshiba, maybe even compared to Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks