Quick perception poll on brands

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Paul Sawyer, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Paul Sawyer

Paul Sawyer Auditioning

No specific sets, but rank these brands of televisions by your preference and knowledge of features, picture quality, overall quality, technology. I am helping a friend out and he percieves one brand far above anyone else. I on the other hand, have a totally different idea as a HT geek.

Here's your choices:

Pioneer(not elite)
    Sony
    Samsung
    Mitsubitshi
    Toshiba
    RCA

Thank you for your help.

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I have owned or own every brand you mention except the non-elite Pioneer, so I guess IMO I would go with:

Toshiba
    Sony
    Pioneer
    Mitsubishi
    tie for RCA and Samsung.

Maybe tomorrow I would list Mitsubishi as first, you never know. Bottom line, don't buy for the name if the picture doesn't impress you. IE, A lot of people buy Sony because of the name even when they think the Samsung looks better. Buy whatever looks the best to you. Also, you may want to throw JVC and Panasonic on that list.

3. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

RCA
    Sony
    Toshiba
    Mitsubitshi
    Pioneer(not elite)
    Samsung

Why RCA first? I have 3 RCA sets ranging from 20" color to 13" black and white - All still work beautifully.

Sony - Innovation -> Trinitron, WEGA, 16:9 Squeeze, etc.

Toshiba - Solid, beautiful, CHEAP

Mitsubishi - Never owned one, but their big screens are #1

The Mitsubishi WL-82913 Offers the Following Features:
    82 inch Widescreen (16:9)
    LCoS Light Engine 3-Chip 1080p x 1920 pixel system with 200 Watt lamp for excellent brightness and resolution.
    NetCommand® 3.0 with IR Learning Provides simple icon-based on-screen digital & analog home theater control. Learns most products' IR codes.
    AMVP™ Advanced Multimedia Video Processor provides enhanced pixel multiplication, image formats and digital noise reduction.
    MediaReader
    PerfectColor™ Precision 6-way color correction.
    1080p Pixel Resolution
    200 Watt Lamp
    Diffusion Screen
    FireWire® (IEEE 1394) interface
    MonitorLink™/DVI HDCP Input
    StretchPlus Displays 4:3 pictures on a wide screen with less distortion
    DefinEdge™ VSM Enhances image clarity.
    Anti-Glare Diamond Shield™
    Three 1080i Component Inputs
    Auto Film Mode (3:2 Pulldown Compensation)
    480-Line Motion-Adaptive 3D Y/C Comb Filter

Impressive!

Pioneer - Overrated? All I know is my PS2 beat out my Pioneer 440 DVD player picture quality wise. Friggin' fastest menu switching though!

Samsung - No comment.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Jed, how about Hitachi too if were talking about RPTV's & Paul you've already got them in the right order [​IMG]

5. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

The question is too broad, as there are too many display types to rank the brands in order without considering a specific technology in the equation. One brand's LCD may best another's LCD, but their CRT's may be vice versa.

Ranking the brands based on CRT RPTV quality the order would be:

Mitsu Diamond
    Hitachi
    Pioneer
    Toshiba, Sony, Samsung and RCA somewhat lower on the ladder in no particular order.

If you hadn't eliminated Pioneer's Elite, I would have tied Pioneer with Mitsu as the top brand.

6. david stark

david stark Second Unit

Toshiba
    Sony
    Samsung

I haven't seen the others so can't comment. I looked at a couple of samsung sets recently with a view to buy, but the pic quality wasn't great (could have been a bad setup in the shop though). I'm not a fan of sony wega's, They are not bad or anything, but I think they are overpriced and there is better out there for similar money.

I ended up with a Toshiba HD set recently and although I think the same sized sony HD set was better, it was also twice the price.

Just to put another name forward I like Loewe tv's, but again they are expensive when compared to the likes of samsung, toshiba, maybe even compared to Sony.