What's new

quick pb-10 in-room spl test post! (1 Viewer)

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
Proud owner of a pb-10. I know this thing cranks but I just wanted to post my in-room spl results @1m

These are all "corrected" measurements using an RS analog spl meter. This meter is pretty "nifty" eh?

25Hz 114.3db
22Hz 111.8db
20Hz 110.2db
19Hz 107.5db
18Hz 101.2db

I thought it was pointless to post higher freq's because I'm sure that there are many comparable subs that can perform similarly at 25Hz and above into the 105-110db range.

I pushed the sub fairly hard and close to the point of compression/doubling and backed off a tad on the volume when I reached that point.

I did notice that the port chuffing was intense at 24Hz and below, I measured with the grill off as I felt as if the cloth and the port were "fighting" eachother and created more audible chuffing than with it off. That grill couldn't get out of the way fast enough!

;)

Great product SVS makes...I felt like I was back in highschool, watching quarters bouncing off the tops of "mini-trucks" :D

I also felt as if I needed M O R E upgrade-itis already?:angry:

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Great info. I'm glad that also someone else has the courage to try max SPL with sine waves. :D

My results: THD

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ilkka,
I used your corrected chart! I finally got my RS spl meter and wifey left for work this morning and I WENT to work as soon as the garage door closed!;)

I have found your input on this and on the "other" forum very helpful.

Good to see you're awake and "cruising" the forums again.

I'm going to measure your favorite Darla and Sub-slide scenes from Nemo in about an hour.

Had to feed the kids lunch.

BTW, I hope that my readings at 1meter are accurate vs. your 2 meter readings.

I did notice a significant decrease in spl at the 2m distance.

p.s. I was also able to secure my phase issue...I was really really close by ear @180degrees but the actual phase was at 150-160 based on the meter's readings. Not bad for "playing it by ear". I knew my musician's ear wasn't full of wax afterall!:D

thanks again for your input!

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
At what dB do you guys get port noise at 20Hz? I get port noise on my PB10 at 1 meter at 93 dB corrected corner loaded. Seems like I should do better than that no? If I go to the opposite corner of the room it does measure a couple dB higher. If I tried to get 110 dB, I think it would explode.

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator

I hope this helps, remember these are "corrected" values. Uncorrected I was able to reach 104db @20Hz at 1meter.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka

You have calibrated your subwoofer very hot. Using AVIA correct levels are 85dB for mains and 83dB for sub. With your receiver they are 75dB and 73dB**. So now you are 5-6dB hot. That is too much for PB10.

**This depend how low that tone is. Do you know how low it is? Avia's subtone is around 30-80Hz.

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
Back to the couch again...thanks Ilkka, I misread that sub to be +2-3db's from mains...I'll re-calibrate to 2-3db below.

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
At what dB do you start to get port noise at 20Hz? I'm using Test Tone Generator on my PC. I start getting port noise around 92-93dB at 20Hz. Can you test yours? I sit about three feet away from the sub. I don' see how you can get 110dB or even 100dB at 20Hz without massive port noise and distortion. Unless something is wrong with mine?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Meaning cone cry, bottoming, farting, etc. The limiters in this subwoofer are so effective, I don't think it can be hurt under normal use. I suppose you could eventually fry the voice coil under extended high volume sine waves...it's just a matter of time if you guys keep this up. :b

Regarding audible chuffing under normal use (i.e., music/movies): I do consider chuffing to be an artifact, and will make note of it.

I found the PB10-ISD to be relatively immune to chuffing (since its tune point is around 18 Hz) under normal use at moderate to moderately loud volumes - which is the intended range for this model.

I didn't push the PB10-ISD to the same playback levels as I would something far more powerful and capable. That is why the SPL levels in the review fall into the 102-106 dB region at the listening position; I try to keep the subwoofer in its "comfort zone" and avoid audible artifacts.

I think the port size, tune point, and woofer capabilities on this model are well matched, and if someone is consistently driving the PB10-ISD into audible chuffing, it is likely also being driven into compression, and the user should turn things down a bit or upgrade to a more capable/powerful model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks