What's new

Quick noob question: computer vs DVD as a source (1 Viewer)

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I am using InFocus LP600 projector currently hooked up through it M1-DA input to my laptop to play DVDs. Would there be a significant improvement in PQ if I used a dedicated DVD player hooked through DVI-M1 cable?

cokewithvanilla

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Don't quote me on it, but I was under the assumption that using a computer, especially a laptop, would produce a lesser signal than a dvd player.

All as I can say is, find out the output resolution of your computer. Compare that with the dvd players, whatever is higher, use.

When you mean play it off your laptop do you mean load up power dvd and play it through power dvd, and have the projector display what is on the computer? If so, I believe a dvd player would be a better choice.

thats just my thought, hopefully a more intelligent individual will respond ;)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I've heard that windvd supports dcdi, and other video processing goodies.

I've used Macs in my home theater, and all I can tell you is that a standalone player is just a whole lot easier to use. They're less noisy, too. If your display is a non-standard resolution (say 1366x768), computers may offer more flexible scaling.

Hmm-- the infocus is xga (1024x768)...

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. How about the quality of the hardware? My guess would be that even inexpensive DVD player will have an edge over laptop video card, but I am not sure how noticable it might be. Also, thus far I could only get the DVDs to play at 800X600. When I set laptop to XGA, I can see image on laptop screen, but projector somehow cannot play it (screen is blank), although it does pick up the XGA signal from laptop. I cannot quite figure our if its because WinDVD has cannot upscale DVDs to XGA or smth in the settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks