Quick need help!! Energy take 5

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JeanVanDam, Apr 15, 2004.

1. JeanVanDam

JeanVanDam Stunt Coordinator

Ok, my friend just pulled the trigger and he got himself the Energy Take 5 system with the Denon 3804. I'm going to help him set up his new system. Any suggestions as to how to run wires, plug wires, sub woofer wires ect?? Any help is appreciated, I wouldn't want to set up his system the wrong way! Thanks[​IMG]

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If you've ever connected speakers to a receiver before there is nothing different with the Take-5 than with any other set of speakers.

Make sure you go into the setup menu for the receiver and set all speakers to small and the crossover to 90hz or so.

3. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

The easy way to do the sub is to run the sub out from the receiver to the "X-OVER" input on the back of the sub. This disables the volume and crossover controls on the sub. Then you just have to set the crossover on the receiver and adjust the level on the receiver. As Steve S. says, tell your receiver you have small speakers all around and set the crossover to 100Hz, 90Hz, or 80Hz(my preference)- depending on the receiver you may not have a choice.

The Takes are pretty easy to set up. If you can get your hands on a calibration disk (AVIA or DVE) and an SPL meter it will make getting optimal sound easier.

good luck, and come back if you have more ???s.

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Since the Take 5 satellites usable lower bass was bench-mark by S&V to only reach 110 Hz, I'd recommend the AV Receiver x-over to be at least 100 Hz, ... to limit & minimize the frequency hole between the sub and satellites.

From Sound & Vision's website ...

Phil

5. JeanVanDam

JeanVanDam Stunt Coordinator

Great thank you. The Sub woofer has an a/b switch, what's that for? Also, my friend did the finished the job. He said the he's getting sound and everything but not a clear and rocking as in the Good Guys demo room. I know that the Good Guys have a better set up but is there anything that I'm missing?
    Otptical from DVD player goes into "in" optical of receiver. Correct?
    He's using an older DVD to play cd which does have optical out. No matter how old the DVD player is this should still put out great sound throught the optical channel correct?

Under what surround sound setting should music be listened to?
    Surround sound, 3 way stereo?

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Up to you. You'll probably need DPLII with those speakers to fill the room since their stereo performance in a larger room leaves a bit to be desired. But then again, you should try and see what you like best.

And last of all, I have to ask. Why not get a less expensive receiver and get better speakers? Not that there's anything wrong with the Take 5.2s (since I own them and they're a good satellite system), but why not larger speakers with more bass response which would make them ideal for music?