Quick mp3 CD Question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Landolfi, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

When making an mp3 CD for playback in cars, regular players, etc., is one limited by the 74/80 minute time limit, or can you max out a disc's capacity?

In playing around with it, it seems that you can make an mp3 data disc that can use all the disc's space, but can only be played on a PC or be used to transfer files. Making an audio disc seems to allow near-universal playback (depending on gear), but is limited to 74/80 minutes. Is this right, or am I missing something? Thanks.

2. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

I am not 100% sure of what you mean, but, when making an mp3 cd what you are doing is just putting the mp3 files on a 'data' cd and its only limited by the amount of data you can store on the cd(650/700 MB). When making an 'audio' cd you are converting the mp3 files to a different format to enable playback on regular cd players and is time limited(74/80 minutes). All cd players can play 'audio' cd's but not all can play mp3 cd's. I hope this helps.

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

3. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info... this is what I was looking for.

4. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

This is why I have an Mp3 player in my truck

5. Tim Ford

Tim Ford Extra

I've found that I need to ensure that the CD's ISO session is 'finished' properly, in order to be able to use the CD in my CD-Mp3 players. With data CDs on the other hand, I can as long as I save the ISO details, I can finish the CD at a later date (after adding further detail for example.) FYI, I tend to use Nero under WinXP.