What's new

quick little story of audio joy (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Some of you may have seen my posts about finding a cheap but quality setup for my dad's 55 year in the making backyard paradise. Real quick, my father got in trouble with credit at a young age and after that he was as disciplined as a marine when it came to spending money. Never had a lot of money but he did what was important and what really counted. I grew up on why pay more brand foods and laneco brand sneakers..
Anyhow, my father loves music, plays guitar and even used to be in a band but never would spring much for an audio system, let alone anything else. We are talking low-version of a Realistic brand reciever including the speakers from radio Shack was as good as it got.
So anyhow, now I am 32 and he is 55 and he is now retired and got his backyard paradise set up and he still has that Realistic reciever from 198- and was just going to buy a set of $60 rock speakers and hook them up to that and I told him, Dad trust me, I know you love music let me do something better for you...just trust me (my dad has always been very critical and skeptical).
Anyhow, I set him up with a Onkyo reciever and some JBL S-36AWII's and he got them in the mail the other day, hooked it up and called me that night, and let me tell you he was as happy as I have heard him in along time. He was so happy his voice even started to crackle from almost crying. He was even trying to put the phone to the speakers to let me hear how good it sounds (lol) it was the best he has made me feel in along time.
Just wanted to share that with you guys as i hoped some of you could relate and appreciate it. Sometimes this hobby can bring some great things even out of simple low cost midfi items :)

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Thanks for sharing :emoji_thumbsup: Thats what this hobby is about and why I come to these boards. I built a pair of speakers for my Dad for his birthday and he had a similar reaction. He loves music, but doesn't have any extra money for speakers. He was also listening to some old radio shack speakers. He pulled out all his favourite songs and we listened for hours. It made me as happy as it made him.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You did real good there Kevin. I'm proud of you. Now go get a nice 6 pack of decent beer and a pizza and bring it over to the old man and listen to some tunes. It's the simple things you know!

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Funny that you mention that Chu, b/c my GF and I are planning on heading there this weekend (he lives in the boonies in Jersey and I am on Long Island). The only thing is I need a lot more than a 6 pack...my dad alone, drinks about a case...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So suddenly there is something wrong with 4 6-packs ? :D

Hope you all have a great time.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

It's all about headroom!

Seriously, that was a great story, and thank you for sharing.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks