Quick, How do I bridge the Sherbourn 5/1500 amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Chang, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

I got the amp used and did not come with instructions. So far I have the intercontect hooked to the 5 channel. the speaker wire is positive on the 4 channel and neg to the 5th channel. Is this right?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Probably not. Generally when you bridge you use the positive speaker posts of both channels. All the negative posts share continuity (typically), so the channel 4 negative is electrically the same channel 5.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

well if I hook it up with both positive then would I damage the speaker or amp?

4. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

I've just looked at my 1500/5A instructions and could find anything about bridging, so I'm not sure if the amp is bridgeable or not. Don't try anything until you make sure. E-mail Sherbourn and ask them, they will help you.

Btw, why are you trying to bridge instead of bi-amp? If you think you need more power to drive your speakers (that must be really big speakers, right?), just bi-amp them. If they don't support bi-amping, you probably will not gain anything by bridging.

5. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Anton, you have the newer version which is 5/1500A. Mine is 5/1500 which is bridgeable. Well I used both postitves on both channels and the sub is louder. On the back of the amp the diagram points to both positives. I thought it was one to the neg side and one to the pos. Wayne maybe right!

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Typically if an amp is bridgeable it will give directions on the back panel how to accomplish it – how to configure the inputs, a switch to engage bridged mode, proper speaker connections etc. But you’ve figured that out, I see.

I have to wonder though, Bruce, there may be a good reason why the current model of this amp is not bridgeable...?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt