quick help with 16:9 Philips 32" HDTV tube

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

I have to act quick on this if I want it, but I have been given the opportunity to get a Philips widescreen tube tv for $999 (regularly 2500) : the 30PW981599 - but it's Factory Reconditioned, and a little bit smaller than I would like (but still bigger than the 27" 4:3 i've been watching my dvd's on.
    it's a progressive scan set and hdtv ready, so for that price it seems like a steal, but how risky is it to get a refurbished set (i almost feel more comfortable with a "fixed" set)
    i can't find any reviews of this set, so if anyone has any experience with it, how is the geometry, overall picture quality, weight, etc?
    thanks!

2. Michael St. Clair

I think it is commonly called the 30PW9815

3. Richard Driskill

Richard Driskill Stunt Coordinator

Sean,
    I can't help you with anything except the Refurbished / Factory Reconditioned part. As long as there is some type of return policy should the set not operate properly, you should be safe. The R/FR cause can amount to anything from a totally non-working set being returned to a set that had a little ding in it upon delivery. They "fix" it totally, but can't sell it as "new" by law. It's a "used" set that has been restored to "new" condition. Unless your a fanatic about the original seal on the plastic wrap being broken, or the owners manual having a little dog ear on a couple of pages, it should be totally acceptable. Bingo, a rare opportunity to purchase something at a much lower cost (sometimes, be cautious). It sounds like a good deal.
    If nobody answers your questions in time, look up the dry specs yourself on-line.