What's new

Quick help needed... Laptop modem questions (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
After being called up for active duty for almost 3 months, my dad has finally arrived in Iraq and has been there for about 3 weeks now. I get to talk to him about once a week when he calls. A couple of the guys in his outfit have laptops and they correspond frequently with their loved ones via e-mail. My mom is considering getting a laptop and shipping it to him but we do not know how the wireless modem thing works.

I'm guessing he will write his e-mails but not be able to send them until he is connected to a landline. What kind of dial-up access do people need in order to do this? Do local ISPs offer dial-ups like this for people who travel? (I can't believe our local ISP would offer a dial-up number for people in Iraq.) I know you guys here know more about this stuff than Carter has liver pills, so can anyone provide some insight as to how the whole thing works?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
This all depends on the country that you are in and what the service supports. In general they are probably using either a WI-FI (802.11b) device or a cell phone that supports data communication. Since there are such a wide range of products and services my suggestion would be for your Dad to ask someone who has a working configuration what equipment they are using and then try and duplicate it.

Laters,
Jeff

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Cool you can post his answers here and myself and others can help you figure out what to buy him. I have a bunch of experience with connecting overseas so it should be easy to figure out.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks