What's new

Quick help needed - HP MD5820n (1 Viewer)

Mike.P

Second Unit
Hey guys -

Looking at getting a TV for our new apartment, 3 college guys so budget is tight - looking at under 1k for the TV alone (cables not included).

We were looking at something like a Samsung 30 incher, but at a local Brandsmart today we saw a floor model HP MD5820n getting a massive discount because it was both a discontinued model and there was some cosmetic damage to the body. They were asking only 898.88 for it, marked down from the original of 2.8k. I've tried to find some reviews on it, but they are sparse - will this be a good enough TV to hold us over for the better part of 1 year?

Viewing area will be about 12 feet from the TV, so I know the size may be a little big, but our budget/selection is limited.

Any help would be appreciated, want to buy it tomorrow since it doesn't seem like it will last long.

Thanks,
Mike

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Actually, the ideal TV size for 12 foot viewing distance at 720p is 60", so a 58" set is perfect. Is this a refurbished or display model? Does it have a manufacturer warranty? Are they an authorized reseller?

Mike.P

Second Unit

It's a display model - the unit has a flip down panel to hide all of the connections, and it doesn't shut correctly - and the unit was discounted also because it is no longer being produced. It was listed at 2.8k for an MSRP, they had it as their advertised 1898, and then the markdown to 898. The screen itself was free of any defects, as far as I could tell. Everything besides some minor dings and scuffs around it were unnoticable, as far as I could tell.

The warranty may be a bit of an issue - but they are most certainly an authorized reseller, and I know in the past they've been pretty good with warranties - if need be, they do offer the dreaded extended warranty.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
sounds like a great price...and HP has made some good products.

regards

gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks