Quick Help - Lip on stage

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bryce_H, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

I am completeing construction of my HT and had a question about my stage. I will be running rope light under the front lip (lip is 2.5 inches out) of my stage and riser. The stage has a curved front in the middle 75%.

My question is should I attach a piece of, say 1X2, wood to underneath the front lip of the stage to help control light from the rope lights from going out into the room or will I be fine. Trying to figure this out before carpet is installed.

2. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

I plan on just putting Large piece of Quarter Round trim on my stage

3. Bryce_H

Looked at your construction site. I am using the same tubing as you are for speaker wire to my 4 surrounds. My front speakers I used 3" conduit. Good luck.

for the rope lighting I realized that the carpet will provide plenty of blockage for the light. I will have hte installer only run the carpet halfway back the underneath of the lip. Then mount the rope light directly to the wood.

4. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

I installed a 1" x 1 1/2" (ripped 2x4) wood block under the lip of my stage and floor risers. The deck of my stage and risers is made only of 3/4" dense sub-floor material and the wood block gives a better appearance to the edge and also reinforces it. If your deck is thicker you may not need it but it does hide rope by making a deeper pocket.

Sorry, I don't have a good picture of lip in my Gallery.

David

5. Bryce_H

My stage is 3/4" plywood, 15lb felt, 1/2" plywood, felt and 3/4" plywood.

Riser is the same except minus the felt.

All pieces of plywood are staggered from the layer beneath to eliminate redundant seams.

So both are good and thick. I think the carpet being wrapped under the front edge (but not taken all the way the front edge if the riser) will provide enough blockage for the rope light.

David,
    I have looked at your sight several time while building my HT. Hope to have pictures of mine up soon.

6. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

With the stage 2 inches thick, adding another piece would be too much. Just use the carpeting as the light blocker.

Can't wait to see your pictures.

David