Quick FSR-12 Troubleshooting Analysis

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark_Faust, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Mark_Faust

Mark_Faust Extra

Hey All,

I am trying to get my FSR-12 up and running so I can sell/replace her with either a PB1 or a PB10. If anyone can give some "shadetree mechanic" help on the symptoms below, I would appreciate it. (all settings on the receiver and the sub are correct and have not been touched in over a year)

(Using an AVIA LFE sweep from 100hz down to 20hz)
    The subwoofer will not play any bass unless I tilt it either forwards or backwards about 1"-1.5". It then magically starts producing sound. When I put it back flat, it goes off again. When playing, the sound is a little off though. I hear this background "thump,thump, thump" when I put my ear up to it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone???
    thx

Mark

2. Mark_Faust

Mark_Faust Extra

A little follow up:

I double checked the amp connection and the connectors seems fine. The wires go down into the driver area through a small hole and I cant see how they are attached.

I took a look at the front cone and rubber material and all looks well. I unscrewed the 6 bezel screws on the front, but the actual cone seemed pretty well stuck on. Should I have to pry that ff in some manner???

I also checked the Line Input and wiggle the connection during the LFE sweep. It never kicked in... As posted in my first message, it only seems to kicks in if I tilt the entire subwoofer forwards or backwards 1.5" or so...

I could really use some help here and would be very grateful..

thx

Mark

3. Mark_Faust

Mark_Faust Extra

anyone??

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Velodyne are tough to work on since they're so proprietary. The "thump" you describe is an amplifier problem, not a woofer problem.

5. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Ask Velodyne: call 408-465-2800 (California).

6. JamesFarina

JamesFarina Agent

Hi Mark,

I noticed in your second post that you checked the line level input. That would be the first place I would have checked. The next step would be to replace your subwoofer cable. Sometimes the cable may look fine but it is not.

If that doesn't work it sounds like you have a bad amp. Try contacting the manufacturer and see what the return/repair procedure will cost. Sometimes they will send you an amp and you can do the install at home. Saves time and money on shipping.

Hope this helps,

Jim F.

7. Mark_Faust

Mark_Faust Extra

thx for the info....

I will give it a shot

8. Rory Buszka

The thump is from the servo circuitry inside the amp. This has been an issue for a long time.

9. Mark_Faust

Mark_Faust Extra

Rory....

as in a bad servo...or one that was not engineered quite right and Velodyne users have to live with??

10. Mark_Faust

Mark_Faust Extra

I changed cables and lo and behold, ny sub started working. I didnt think it was the cable so I changed it back to the old cable and it continued working. I reran the LFE Test sweep off the AVIA disk again (100hz down to 20hz) Everything sounded fine until it hit around 38Hz. Then I started getting this "knocking" or "rattling" from the front of the cone. I tried adding some weight to the top but it continued to do it....

Sound like something is loose in there..

Any ideas??
    Any thing I can fix??

thx
    Mark

11. Rory Buszka

That might be the sound of the cone bottoming out. How is the foam on this woofer? (remembering that Velodyne uses foam surrounds a lot, especially on earlier ones)

12. Mark_Faust

Mark_Faust Extra

If your talking about the little beveled piece of "rubber", it looks fine...