quick? for all the experts

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarcelHuard, Jul 8, 2003.

1. MarcelHuard

MarcelHuard Auditioning

hey folks i have these speakers and i was wondering what i can do to beef these up change the woofer to a sub maybe
    or add a few more mid base to them change thier design dont know anyone have any ideas this is a web page on them
    http://www.phifiq.com/kvs-407.htm these speaker are a set i have just sitten around and id like to use them as front mains on my home theater

2. MarcelHuard

MarcelHuard Auditioning

never mind this my pc froze ang got on 2 threads

3. MarcelHuard

MarcelHuard Auditioning

ok 3

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

5. MarcelHuard

MarcelHuard Auditioning

dont get me wrong these sound pretty good nuthin compared to my polks im just in need of a project

6. TimForman

Don't get me wrong either, the statement after my posting is just part of the signature 'cuz that's what all the cool guys do. Right guys? OK, here goes.
    Speaker systems are more than just a collection of parts. They are the end product (hopefully) of extensive research involving matching drivers, testing those drivers, designing a crossover that produces the least amount of frequency peaks and dips and good impedences, then putting them in a properly sized, damped and possibly ported enclosure. In the better systems there is also care given to off-axis response vertically as well as horizontal. Without going through this process again there is no good way of "beefing up" a loudspeaker.

7. MarcelHuard

MarcelHuard Auditioning

wel if ya put it that lol
    ya know yer right im
    gonna have to do some research this project
    i didnt get offended bro thanx for your insight help me some

8. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

9. TimForman

Obviously, Vance's book is highly thought of among those that have experience in audio and electronics. However, it may be a little much if you're brand new to the game. You may want to start off with "Designing, Building and Testing Your Own Loudspeaker" by David Weems. Then move on to the Cookbook.

10. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Whatever you do, unless you've got a degree in the physics of sound and electronics, DO NOT buy the Dickason book to start with. It is VERY involved, and will make your brain run out your ears. The Weems book is considerably easier to understand. Then, after you get into it, consider the Dickason book.

FWIW, and I've learned this here, the best thing to do is to look at established "kits" (really just published box blueprints and electronic crossover diagrams) and see how they were done.

11. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

FWIW, the best beginner's book I've seen is Ray Alden's 'Advanced Speaker Systems'.

GM