What's new

quick explanation: what's the difference between the Denon AVR-1803 and 2802? (1 Viewer)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i looked up all the specs, and these seem VERY similar. i'm checking ebay, and can get both for good prices. i was just wondering what the main differences are - other than the 2802 having a bit more power.

i can get the AVR-1803 for $325 and the AVR-2802 for $430. i'm trying to figure out which would be best for me. i'll be running Paradigm Monitor 7s, CC-370, Mini Monitors, and a sub

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The 2803 has more power and features, is all. The next step up the ladder.

Are you getting those prices from an authorized Denon dealer? Denon rarely allows its resellers to offer much in the way of discounts.

(I'm sure you'd find that the 1803 serves your purposes well. I have one in my bedroom system and think it's a great little box. Ruggedly built, an excellent feature set, versatile, etc. If upgrading is an issue, bear in mind that the 1803 does not have preamp "outs," which would allow for you to purchase a separate power amp later on for use with the 1803 as a "pre-pro.")

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the reply! if the 1803 will be able to power my paradigm set up with no problems, i'm fine with that, and can even save $100! my concern is the features...are there any really good features that the 2802 can do that the 1803 can't?

they're not authorized denon dealers...is that bad? they come with full warranties...

what purpose does a power amp serve? does it just boost the power and volume? i don't think i'd ever need more volume...

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of warranties?
Denon does not honor any warranties that are not from an authorized dealer or authorized online merchant. (I know, I called them when I was looking for a denon reciever and they firmly said they don't.)
So be careful when buying online.

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator
If you went to an authorized dealer, he would be able to explain to you all of the differences between the two models, and assist you in making the correct decision. You would also be assured of getting a brand new unit with full manufacturer's warranty. Is peace of mind worth so little?

Yogi

Screenwriter
I'd definetly go with the 2802 just because it has preouts for all the channels. With the preouts you could go the next step (and believe me you will go the next step) with just the addition of a two channel outboard amp. With the 1803 you would have no other option but to replace it completely. So even though the power difference is negligible the 2802 for around $400 is a better value, IMHO.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Is there any difference between the spec of the component switching bandwidths? Or is the '04 series being introduced to handle HD switching?

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i also found an AVR-1804 for around $400. so here's what i'm looking out, with shipping fees included. again, i'm running a Paradigm set up with Monitor 7s, Minis, CC-370, and a sub. i need to act fast, though

AVR-1803: $375
AVR-1804: $425
AVR-2802: $465

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mike, best rule of thumb is to purchase from an authorized Denon reseller. Purchasing from unauthorized resellers is fraught with risk, even though some people get away with it fine. But I wouldn't want to order a Denon receiver only to find that it is not factory-sealed and that the serial number has been scratched out, along with blemishes. And, ultimately, Denon not willing to honor a warranty (for justifiable reasons). Sometimes you have to pays the price that results in peace of mind.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
you just might be content with the 1803/4 for a good long while but if not, for a few bucks more, you could have a receiver that will give you a good upgrade path. An outboard amp will usually sound better than the internal amps on a receiver. It won't necessarily play at higher volume levels but will most likely provide more current and headroom than the receiver's amp section.
FWIW, I have the 2802 and plan on adding an amp when my budget allows.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I have seen one authorized dealer on Ebay that has good prices. Of course I can't remember their name right now but if you have been looking on Ebay I'm sure you have seen this company. Just read the entire desciption. They state that the ARE authorized and they give you the name of their company to look up on the Denon website.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i think it's Dakmart...

the thing is - my speakers, cd player, and DVD player are all coming soon - but i have no receiver yet! i'm real anxious to get one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks