Quick driving question...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Harnish, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Quick question. When you're performing a U-turn on a residential street and someone wants to make a left turn behind you onto the same street where you're making a U-turn, do they have the right-of-way?

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Where I live U-turns are illegal so, yes they do.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I would suppose anyone has right of way over you if you're making such a elaborate maneuver.

--
    Holadem

4. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

U-Turns are a big No-No in Toronto (hey, that rhymes!).

So the answer is yes, in Toronto at least, they would have the right of way, and you would have a big-honkin' ticket from Mr. Police Officer. [​IMG]

Moe.

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Where are you talking about making a u-turn? Is it at an intersection in a neighborhood or something? And where is the other car coming from? In general I would say the normal right-of-way rules apply. If you have room to execute it, a u-turn isn't much different than a left-hand turn, you block the same lanes of traffic while doing it. My car doesn't have u-turn signals, so I don't know how someone else can decide what kind of turn I'm making and thus take right-of-way away from me.

Oh, and here u-turns are perfectly legal. I don't know why people are giving you answers based on their local laws.

6. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I would say, since theyre behind you you have the right of way, and since youre making a harder maneuver the person should wait for you.
    But what do i know
    Ask a judge.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

legal here too.
    I've always thought outlawing u turns was retarded.

8. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I guess it depends on what different people consider a U-turn to be.

I believe a U-turn is one continuous turn that allows your vehicle to travel in the complete reverse direction of which your vehicle was already traveling.

When the one continuous turn ends up being a stop, reverse and then another turn that makes it a 3 point turn.

If a driver can perform the U-turn in one fluid motion then I believe that driver has the right-of-way.

If a driver has to stop their vehicle, reverse and then finish the turn they probably should have made a regular left-turn and found a large and safe enough area to turn around in.

Each state and country has it's own laws regarding driving so it could be different for those outside PA.

If I'm behind someone in a left-hand turning lane I always wait to make sure they're not doing a U-turn. It's easier to wait instead of ending up slamming into the car in front of me.

Brian

9. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

10. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

11. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

In general, a U turn has the lowest priority over any other traffic manuveur. Someone behind you would have no idea you're making a U turn instead of a left, thus once he begins his left turn, you should have waited for him to complete it even though you are now going straight in the oncoming lane.

12. Keith Mickunas

I don't know why there's so much controversy about this. If you are making a u-turn, and someone is following you, they shouldn't be cutting inside you, so its not an issue. Even if you go far into the lane to get room to do the turn, you should have your blinker on, so they shouldn't be cutting inside you. You're in front of the person, so obviously you have right of way. What else can you do? Stop, get out, go to the person, tell them you are waiting for traffic to clear and they should go around you? That's stupid. You wait for traffic to clear, make your u-turn, and the person behind you turns like normal.

Just because a u-turn is a bit of radical manuver doesn't mean the driver gets lower priority or something. In fact, if you are at an intersection and someone is doing a u-turn, you need to let them finish because it would be quite easy for you to end up in their blind spot. Once a person goes past 90 degrees, or whatever angle is needed for the left turn at that intersection, its pretty damn obvious what he's doing.

The only problems I've ever encountered with u-turns is if a car with a smaller turning radius is following a bigger car, and both are making u-turns. The smaller car might thing the bigger car is making a left because of how far into the intersection they proceed, so the smaller car goes and turns, effectively cutting off the bigger car. But as long as you pay attention, there shouldn't be a problem.

13. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> When you're performing a U-turn on a residential street and someone wants to make a left turn behind you onto the same street where you're making a U-turn, do they have the right-of-way?

How would you know what the driver behind you wants to do?

> I've always thought outlawing u turns was retarded.

It is; how else are you supposed to change directions? On some streets where there are medians, a U-turn is often the only way to head the direction you want.

Also stupid are red turn arrows, especially the ones pointing right.

14. Keith Mickunas

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Stunt Coordinator

Unless prohibited by a no U-Turn sign, someone making a properly executed u-turn would only have to yield to any on-coming traffic. Any vehicle behind or on a cross street would have to yield the right of way to the vehicle making the u-turn.

16. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan