What's new

Quick...Does the Tosh 32A41 have 16x9 squeeze? (1 Viewer)

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Hi all,

I've spent a few hours searching threads specifically for this one set. I've seen it in Best Buy, and it's excellent at a glance.

I know it has 750 lines of resolution(per the documentation), but...

DOES IT SQUEEZE?? by menu or any other means?

Please help.

Thanks.

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Matt,

I a Toshiba 32A41, and have searched through here and the AVS forum and can't find any information on forcing the 32A41 to do the squeeze.

Bought mine this Summer and I'm happy with the purchase as my first TV ever. Its a bit heavy though. I'm in college and have to lug it back and forth for the Winter and Summer long breaks... realized that's nearly impossible to do if I also am lugging back and forth my whole DVD collection.

Matthew Furtek

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That set is the direct descendent of the CZ32V51--and it could so the "squeeze" from the service menu. My own bedroom set, the CZ27V51, can be "squeezed" from the service menu, as well.

So, yes, the 32A41 should certainly be able to do the raster-collapse function from the service menu. You'll have to ask around for the service menu codes, however. Someone here at HTF surely knows them.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Hmmmmm the squeeze as in putting all available lines into the 16X9 area? It doesn't say this anywhere that I have seen. I own the set and would be very interested if this was possible.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Toshiba is not going to advertise the fact that the raster can be collapsed into a 16:9 window from the service menu--you know, it's a warranty kind of thing. In fact, Toshiba and most other OEMs don't even acknowledge the existence of a service menu. But it's there.
Yes, to your question, though. That's what the "squeeze trick" is all about: compressing the entire scanning-line raster into a 16:9 window. Once you're used to seeing 16:9-encoded DVDs in a 16:9 window, there's no going back. The very thought of in-player downconversion become unacceptable.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for the replies guys. Really thinking I want this set. Just trying to pin down this little detail.
Jack, you seem pretty certain the "squeeze" ought to be possible with this set. But I'm not sure it's clear.
Can you offer up a more specific "Yes" or "No"?
Ideally, if you could point me in the direction of how to do it...
a:access the svc menu
b:which setting sets the raster area, etc.
...that would be fantastic. Allen and Matthew would love it too. :)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I watch all my movies in widescreen so I would absolutely love this feature. Is there any danger of perhaps breaking, burning in, etc.... if you do this though?
By the way the TV has been great. Movies look great even without squeeze mode, and videogames are solid. :)

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Good point Allen, I still play LOTS of Playstation, so the idea of the 32" seems great to me for that alone. :)
Hopefully Jack or someone else will be able to help with the detail on the Squeeze Trick. :D
Later

Bill Will

Screenwriter
All Samsung's 20 inch & up can do the "Squeeze Trick" with just the push of a button on the remote control. No service menu to enter.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Someone please help us out! I didn't know that sets could do the squeeze via a hidden feature. I would love to test this out so if anyone knows how to do it please let us know. :)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
For sets that can do the "Squeeze Trick" by entering the service menu check www.hometheaterspot.com They have a lot of posts on "Service Menus" & how to get into them plus the "Squeeze Trick" Check under each tv's Brand Name for info about the brand you are looking for. If you don't see them over there try doing a search on that board.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
tried that...they don't appear to have anything particular to Direct View Sets. They appear to be RPTV and HD lovers over there.
Posters here have been helpful, and I've cobbled together more info from several "searches" here than anywhere else.
(Gotta love HTF ;) )
As it is, I "believe" this set has the ability to squeeze.
It may take some extra posts...until someone who knows for sure sees the thread. Either way, I think I'd be happy with this set.
I'd just be happier to figure out the Squeeze. :D
So we'll keep trying.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Well...I got the 32a41, and it's amazing.
Really.
I'm going to e-mail Jack to see if he can advise me of the
way to SQUEEZE the picture.
Will keep you posted.
:D I love this big picture.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yeah I have the 36" tosh model and it was a nice set until I upgraded. I'm curious to see this squeeze thing myself since it's a capable tv feature, even though I dont need it since I have a widescreen now , but I'd like to compare the before and after the squeeze effects.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I put together my first HT last summer/fall. I bought a 32A41 at a great price but as I tried to educate myself on HT I missed learning about the most important thing - anamorphic DVD's and how you lose resolution if the television does not do the squeeze.

I have been afraid to go into the service menu for fear of screwing up but after reading the link provided by Jim I went into the service menu last night and now that I see how easy it is to get in it and navigate through it I am ready to give the squeeze a try.

I can probably figure out what the correct height setting (HIT on the Toshiba) should be. But the link says that after changing the height setting that it may be necessary to also change the DPC setting. Is there anyone that has done the squeeze on a 32A41 that can post what they set their HIT and DPC settings to? Also are there any other settings that may need to be adjusted?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks