Quick copyright question

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Aug 21, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I want to copyright multiple characters under one title, wich I would also like to copyright, so I can publish them on the web safley.

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formvai.pdf

This is the form I was thinking of using again, but I THINK this is only for one character per form. Or, can I just write down the title of the series, and then include the multiple character drawings with the form to be registered under said title?

Thanks

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I would contact the copyright office with your questions.

If you have created these character designs, you already have copyright, all the registration will do is give you further evidence of that should you need to enforce your right in court. There is nothing "safe" in publishing. Anyone can, and if they think they can gain from it, will steal the work. It is then up to you to protect your work in the courts.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Nope. I don't know if it's more properly called a logo, or a title, or even text. It's the Series Title, say, Thundercats for example that I would like to copyright, but after reading I think that still needs to be trademarked.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    You cannot copyright a title. You can trademark a specific logo (typeface/design and name), but not a title per se. You can prevent someone else from using a similar title after you've established yours in the marketplace by using deceptive trade practices and unfair competition, but that isn't the same as copyrighting the title of a literary work.

Regards,

Joe