What's new

Quick Clarification of Wireless Network Term (1 Viewer)

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Hey again,

Have a quick question regarding the meaning of "integrated" or "embedded" wireless capability included in notebook computers. When present, these terms mean that wireless capability is incorporated without taking away the available PCI slot (as you'd do when adding a wireless card), correct? Thanks.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Yes, I would assume that's what it means. Even my old Apple Powerbook (the last black model) has a specific slot internally to put their airport card, so the PC-Card slot stays available.

-Christian

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Christian. I'll seek the integrated/embedded option when configuring my system. Have a good one.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
That is ALMOST ALWAYS the case, however, I do know of one exception: There was this tablet thing, called Progear, I don't recall who was the manufacturer, but a real sexy device, about 3 pounts, with an XGA 10.4 touch screen, runs Linux as well as Windows and I think it had a Transmeta processor on it. The spec said it has "buildin/integrated" 802.11b, and it turned out that the "buildin" 802.11b was an Orinoco Gold card sitting in a PCMCIA slot, hardwired to an internal antenna. So in this particular case, the PCMCIA slot was actually taken away. The Progear is now a hackers' delight, so many people have opened up the box, cut the hardwire connection and free the PCMCIA slot.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Integrated wireless capability doesn't always mean that there will be a PC Card slot available.

Recent iBooks and 12" PowerBooks have integrated antennas, and internal slots for AirPort or AirPort Extreme cards, but they do not have PC Card slots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks