Quick car audio question/recommendation...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Oct 6, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hey, im thinking of giving more OOMPH and tightness to the bass in my dad's 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE (i drive his car).
    Most of the bass comes from the two rear-deck 6x9's, so im thinking to get those replaced from the stock speakers. I also wanted to replace these ones because those are the only two speakers i know how to (or think know how to) remove. All the other ones are stuck behind grills and i dont have access to them.
    Now the problem is, i dont want to spend alot, i really REALLY gotta keep the price low. Im hoping under $100CAD (tats already pushing it, was thinking more like under $80), and hoping to buy it locally.
    I dont need anyhting REALLY good, just maybe a 20% or so improvement in sound from the stock speakers.
    Now i can go SUPER CHEAP, i saw these $49.99 'urban-something' speakers at Canadian tire :b but i doubt those would do any good.
    At futureshop i saw a couple in my price range:
    Pioneer TS-693P
    Sony XSW6920
    there were also another pair of pioneers for about $79.99 as well as some JVC's.
    Am i just wasting my time and money spending this much on a pair of 6x9's, or will they give me some recognizable improvement in sound?
    EDIT: also, a very NEWBIE question, are the speaker prices for a pair, or for one?

2. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

IMO, I suggest that you save your $$$ until you can really upgrade your system. Do you know if your existing head unit (CD I presume) has a sub pre-out? If so, when your budget allows (say CDN$250-$300), add a cheap amp (CDN$150 if used) and a sub (build an enclosure yourself or get one used and then add a SVS or a used Pioneer driver for say CDN$50-$75). Add $25-$50 for accessories (used) like power and ground cable, RCA, etc.

If you don't want this much bass, you may want to consider upgrading the rear 6x9's to a pair of 8 inch woofs. Personally, I don't like have both front and rear full range speakers....music is 2 channel, not four channel. I have a pair of 5x7 coaxials up front and a pair of 5.25 mids in the rear (and a 12" SVS sub).

Speaker prices are generally per pair....except for subwoofers.

Dave

3. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

In general I can't stand 6x9s. My friend who has/had a JL Audio 15w3 in his car bought some Boston Acoustics 6x9s and stuck those in also. Sitting in the rear seat has a pain. Maybe if he amped them and turned the gain way down it'd be alright, but otherwise they were just loud and screeched.
    I have two 15w3s in my 89 Ranger right now. In the extended cab portion there is slots for 6x8s. I removed them as those were also 'a pain in the ear'.
    If you're looking for bass then get a sub or subs. A single 12...two 10s...4 15s [​IMG]

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    My existing head unit is only radio/casette, no CD.

I dont really need huge amounts of bass, and car audio isnt at the top of the priority for me, i just want SOME improvement, doesnt have to be huge, just better compared to my stock speakers. So even if i have more money, im not gonna spend too much on my dad's car anyways. I also dont wanna spen that much for a complete overhaul (like i said, its my dad's car, not mine), just to replace speakers. I dont think i wanna go into changing HUs or adding an amp and sub.

How would i go about upgrading the 6x9s to 8 inchers? The brackets and screw holes only accomadate 6x9s..unless theres some kind of adaptor?

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

If I had to make a recomendation it would be to upgrade your front speakers and leave the rears simply there for fill. This should have the largest effect on the sound quality in your car, because the fronts should be your primary focus for sound quality.
    I am sure you could find some resources online for accessing the front speakers. If somewhere down the raod you own your own car, this will also give you some experience in doing installation work. Nothing like using your dad's car as the guiena pig [​IMG]
    J

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Justin: I could do that, but then id stil have to take apart the whole dash, and i dont hitnk my dad'll be too happy seing his dashboard in a bunch of tiny peices :p)
    Anyways, most of the 'bass' comes from those two rear speakers.
    Like i said, i dont need bass response down to like flat 20Hz, but just tighter bass (rather than the BLAAAAT vibrations that im getting right now).
    The ones i have in right now are pretty decent compared to the ones in my friends' corolla, but i just want it to be a bit more solid.
    i really dont feel like going into like amps and stuff... yet [​IMG] This is just my very first thing im doing to the car, i dont wanna go from 0 straight to 100mph right? baby steps :p) Itll also keep my bank account happy [​IMG]

8. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

Whatever you put in the place of those stock speakers, you are still going to be hamstrung by the head unit's amp. So what you put in might give you a marginal improvement, I don't think you will get that ~20% improvement you are looking for, just more clipping from the H/U amp.

Your results may vary, but there isn't really a quick fix on this without external amps.

9. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Nick, I did the same thing in my wife's old Chevy Malibu. I replaced the stock 6x9s with some Alpines for like $60 US. The improvement was very noticable. It mad the lower octaves much clearer at lower volumes, and a bit louder at high volumes. I think for what you're looking for, either the Pioneers or the Sonys would work fine.

Keep in mind that you'll quickly notice how little power the stock head can produce before it starts clipping. At that point, a new head unit is the only way to improve the sound.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Jared: Thats EXACTLY what i wanna do... so you did notice an improvement eh? Was that with the original factory head unit, or a new one?

11. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget to check out ebay, ubid and half.com. I've recently upgraded my car stereo and save a huge chunk of change at each of those sites.

12. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I would say a very noticable improvement with just upgrading the 6x9s - stock head unit.

13. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Replace the speakers with some decent ones. CD will also improve the sound quite a bit, after that, its better amplification that will give you the clarity and punch you are looking for.

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    yeah, i might go step by step like that jeff... Right now im using a CD-Casette adaptor with my Discman, it sounds decent.

15. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

How about some Tangband speakers?? They are dirt cheap and are available locally. I've nothing but good about them.

16. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Cam: Where can i get some of those?

17. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

It was http://www.nuera.ca, but that seems to be down. I know AllanRW on this forum is affiliated with them, so try finding him.

18. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Cool thanks.. hopefully i can find some of these locally for cheap [​IMG]