Quick calibration question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Justin_D, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

Which do I use to set the channels up right?
    BTW: Using DVE disk
    1) Band Limited Pink Noise
    2) Full Bandwidth Pink Noise

Also: Funny story.

For those who didn't know, I blew my sub a few weeks ago from going crazy w/ a 20hz test tone. Circuit City was kind enough to give me a replacement (although I didn't tell them what I was doing :b )

Well, I'm setting this monster (IMO [​IMG] ) up, and I realize my sub is too loud (by a big shot). I turn it down. Still too loud, so I turn it down again. STILL TOO LOUD! ARG! Turn it down BIG time, and test.

Oh god, I can't hear anything. Receiver test tone: Nothing. Oh god, I blew it again. :::SHOVES HEAD INTO WALL:::

Wait a minute...

:::turns volume up above minimum (DOH!):::

Test tone ---> HALELUJA!

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I would say the Band Limited... based on the chapter list it breaks it down like this:

1 Band Limited Pink Noise - Left
    2 Band Limited Pink Noise - Half Left
    3 Band Limited Pink Noise - Center
    4 Band Limited Pink Noise - Half Right
    5 Band Limited Pink Noise - Right
    6 Band Limited Pink Noise - Half Right Surround
    7 Band Limited Pink Noise - Right Surround
    8 Band Limited Pink Noise - Center Back
    9 Band Limited Pink Noise - Left Surround
    10 Band Limited Pink Noise - Half Left Surround
    11 Band Limited Pink Noise - LFE
    12 Full Bandwidth Pink Noise - Pan Around The Room

I would step through chapters 1 - 11 and make sure all are registering at the same level and you should be set.

I think they put the full bandwidth pan in there so you can get a feel for how the sound is moving around the room rather than setting SPL levels.

3. Mark Olton

Mark Olton Auditioning

And realize that DVE's LFE is mixed way too loud (at least 6 db for me). You might want to use something else, like THX Optimizer, to calibrate your sub.

4. Justin_D

Are you sure about that? I calibrated mine to 75dB just like the rest of the speakers, and its NONEXISTANT!

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

that's the point, if the tone is TOO LOUD, then when you use it, your resulting output is too low. The DVE tone is 2-3db too loud, so it should register 77-78 on your meter instead of 75 when calibrating. Using DVE's sub tone, shoot for 77 or 78 on the meter and you should be correct.

Hope that makes sense.

-Vince

6. Justin_D

Hmm....I just fixed it and it still sounds very quiet to me...is it me?

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Could be. Could also be that the tones emphasize certain freq in your specific room that are not as present in the actual material. are you using a BFD, or have you tuned your sub flat in any way?

If, for example, you room is highly reflective at 66hz, and the test tone features 66hz- your room will reflect that freq more and will measure HIGHER on the meter. However, when playing actual material you might have no 66hz in the bass, instead say it's centered about 40hz-- a freq your system and room might lack-- it will seem much lower in volume.

However, in my experience- almost every member of this forum prefers more bass than is intended. For all the talk of calibration, I would say i don't know anyone who runs their sub any less than 2db over the "proper" calibrated level. [​IMG] Newbies are even worse, most people who set their system without the help of a meter have their sub between 15 and 20 db too loud! It sounds like shit, but when you never had bass in your material before, all of a sudden you want it in everything!

-V

8. Justin_D

Well, thats good to know, and it IS possible.
    I have a Velodyne CHT-12 that has NO equalization any way, shape, or form.

I just put it in the corner the other day. I figured while I was getting new speaker stands and stuff, might as well do it all at once, and do calibration once.

I don't suppose there is anyone who knows what a CHT-12's peak frequncy is? My room is also w/ harder, but thin, walls, and carpet. Right in front of the sub (~2.5' away) is a bookstand (hard wood). Could this also be causing the reflection?

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Dunno the curve on the sub- but it's likely the room interaction causing issues (some test discs, like AVIA, have freq sweeps that will run down from 100hz-- and with a meter you can see (approximately) where you have spikes.

The problem PROBABLY isn't so much with surfaces near by, but rather with the makeup and dimensions of the room in general. If you understand the concept of standing waves, every wavelength has a specific room size that will cause it to double over on itself- creating sympathetic interference and increasing the volume of that freq. Without room treatments of some attempts at placement or EQ'ing to overcome this, you will always have some freq more emphasized than others.

-V

10. david_shy

david_shy Agent

I've been wondering the same thing....

On the next "title", Audio Test Signals , Dolby and DTS 6.1, they offer Full Bandwith Pink Noise for all channels...

Can someone confirm Dave Poehlman's response to use bandwidth limited Pink Noise?

I did a quick calibration and my Marantz SR5200 has a reference level at +10db, and struggles to get there...

Obviously there would be a lot more energy in full bandwidth, and the reference point would be lower

cheers!

11. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I know I had my sub hot when I put some music on... talk about an ear opener! I thought my house was going to fall apart. Anyone who questions wether their sub is louder then their speakers just needs to try to play some music on it. Momma mia!

And Dave, doesn't the DVD give some input about which one you should use to test the tones out? Although I currently forget, I'm sure Avia has full and limited test tones. And I also remember them telling you which one to set your speakers to and which one to do an overall test with.