What's new

Quick AV-15 question beforre it goes off sale (1 Viewer)

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I went ahead and ordered an AV15 even though I didn't get a call back from the message I left on the answering machine. The em confirmation I recieved from my order stated $165 with no mention of shipping charges, so I assume it's $165 total. I hope it's not terribly long before I recieve it. It will be awhile before I can afford an amp for it anyway.

As far as purchase price goes, it would be hard for him to argue against the $165 purchase confirmation e-mail he sent me.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
As far as purchase price goes, it would be hard for him to argue against the $165 purchase confirmation e-mail he sent me.
No not really, he simply doesn't have to honor the order (I believe the first production run is virtually sold out). Your credit card won't be charged. The website clearly states that the preorder pricing ended October 21st.

And no the $165 pricing (when it was available) certainly didn't include shipping.

It's a bummer when people try to screw retailers, especially those that are as helpful and supportive to the DIY community as John J

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Thomas,
I agree with you, but want to say that John has been gracious enough to honor the price listed (I know because I ordered my AV15 "late"). John has posted on multiple occasions that he needs to update the site, and I believe he has honored all the orders even though this hasn't been completed. I will say that from a consumer standpoint, if the site (and email) specifies a certain price it really should be honored. If an item is no longer available for a certain price, a business should change the information or make the policy publicly known.
JP

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Jim, and just because we do doesn't mean we're trying to screw John either.

-Brian

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
If an item is no longer available for a certain price, a business should change the information or make the policy publicly known.
Since it's clearly posted on the website that the offer expired 10/21. And since JohnJ posted in a thread that it was no longer available at that price, how much more 'public' do you think it should be?

I agree that he should get the order taking and automated email shut down. But since the 'offer' ended 10/21, he's under no obligation to sell the drivers at that price regardless of the automated email reply.

Finally if the $40 difference between the presale and the retail price is a make or break amount for buyer, they're in the wrong hobby. This is especially true considering that a similar driver will cost $300+ elsewhere

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
If John has been honoring the preorder price like he has for the past few weeks or so then he obviously feels the same way us. If he thought he was getting screwed out of doing this he wouldn't have done it.

-Brian

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
If John has been honoring the preorder price like he has for the past few weeks or so then obviously feels the same way us. If he thought he was getting screwed out of doing this he wouldn't have done it.

-Brian

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
It would take 1 whole minute to update the web pages and shopping cart ammounts to the increased price. The automated email would reflect the order cost from the shopping cart so that wouldn't need to even be touched. If a company can't spend that tiny bit of time to correct something that means 40 bucks to the consumer per unit, I think it is only right that they honor it as well.

My two cents...

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
John's a very fair person as he only charged me the going rate for fedex shipping (amazing how many companies will rip you this). The way I look at if you think this is a "rip-off" simply don't buy it even though this particular woofer would smoke about 95% of what's out there and unless you're buying a used Blueprint xx03, HE, Brahma, or Tumult you're not going to get a driver of this quality at this price and even for double it.

Just in case you're wondering he honored the $169 pricing of his website for me and only charged a little over $14 to ship it which to me is quite fair for a 30lb+ driver.

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I'll tell you my opinion of this price and customer service debate we have going. I have owned a retail wine and spirits shop here in Tulsa for 11 years now and I can tell you that if I have a price on a bottle, even if it was mispriced (which happens way to often) to where it less than cost, I still feel obligated, as should any retailer, to sell it at that price. That's only good business. I don't want the customer to feel like they are being misled. I simply tell them that they are getting a really good deal but it's not usually that price. I would rather eat the loss and perhaps buy a customer that make them mad and never see them again. This argument may be a moot point since I don't know what I will be charged yet.;)

As far as customer service goes,I realise that Stryke is a one man show, but if he wants the business to realise it's potential he needs to bite the bullet and hire someone to answere the phone and em's. Adire and SVS wouldn't be as successfull if even 70% or 80% of their customers were completely satisfied with the CS. If you can't make at least 99 of every 100 customers completely impressed by your CS things should change. It is word of mouth and customer referrels that really make a business grow and prompt replies to questions or problems is key to good CS.
Just being a good guy with good intentions and good priced products are not the only factors for his company realising it's potential.

As Dennis Miller would say,"of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong";)

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
Well said Gary, that's exactly how most of us feel. I think John feels the same way too. On the stryke forums yesterday, he did post about having another preorder for the drivers, I don't think they've ever ended, but I guess he wants to make it official.

-Brian

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:05 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like we are now once again out of stock of the AV12's and AV15's. I may have one or two of each left, but that is about it. I may consider doing another preorder at $165 if there is enough interest.

John

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
He's been honoring the preorder price for a long time now and way after the 10/21 date. Also if you didn't visit any forums how would you know what the price is? When the billing form and the confirmation email states the preorder price. That's the misunderstanding. In any case, this thread is going nowhere and even if John doesn't charge the preorder price I'm still gonna buy an av12 or 15.

Right now i'm trying to figure out if I want the 12 or 15. In a 5cu.ft ported box am I better off with the 15 or the 12 if my main goal is deep flat response(around 20hz)? My room is 22x16x9 and I usually play at -5 or -10 from reference. The amp will most likely be the rythmik 380watt... I'm thiking the 12, just wanna make sure. Any advice?

-Brian

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Everyone,

With regards to customer service, email replies, etc, I truly appologize for not being able to keep up to date. I run Stryke Audio alone with no help. I have been putting in 80 hour weeks for the past year and a half now. I had a baby girl born back in October that also needs some of my time. The business barely makes enough money to support itself. I am currently going through bankruptcy, which will not effect the business. My girlfriend is also switching jobs now, and for the next two weeks will actually be working both jobs, leaving me with the baby even more.

Everything to date is done by myself. All cabinet building, woofer design, website, emails, phone calls, packaging and shipping, remodeling the 5000sq ft shop, etc etc. Honestly I cannot handle all the work myself. However with the bankruptcy and the business just about breaking even, there is no money available to hire anyone to help out. I'm in a catch 22. No money to hire anyone and can't get all the work done alone to make enough money.

Shortly things will be looking up. This weekend I will be finishing the office and setting everything up there. Currently the computer system is in my home office. It needs to be at the shop so I can be there all day and not have to drive home to process orders.

The paint booth in the back of the shop will finally have heat after this weekend as well. This will greatly speed things up. I will be able to just hang 6 cabinets and spray them all at once. I just found a new paint supplier this week as well. They have a very nice, extremely durable clear coat I will be spraying cabinets with from now on. One of the other uses for it is to coat wood floors in basketball gyms, if that tells you anything about its durability. It is a high solids coating that builds nicely. It also dries in only 20minutes. Compare this to some oil varnishes, or polyurethanes that I had been using that took 3 coats to equal the build of one coat of this new stuff and also took 2-8 hours to dry between coats. Now I save a ton of time.

There is a complete new website that I am slowly working on. I hope to get most of it setup within the next few weeks now. I will also have a new online store with shopping cart software that actually works. It will also allow customers to log back in and get shipping status and actually track packages off of the stryke site.

One other thing that can help with customer service some is the new forum I setup on our site. I do reply to posts there more quickly than emails. Chances are if you have a question, someone else has the same question. By being able to answer the questions publicly I can help out many people at once, and also help myself with the time situation here.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks