Quick and Initial Review on the Fluance SM938

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Andrew S-, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Andrew S-

Andrew S- Stunt Coordinator

http://www.fluance.com/fluansmblac.html

They are being powered by the front channels of my denon 1603.

Recieved the Speakers on Thursday. They seem to have good customer service. I had emailed them with a few questions prior to purchase and they answered quickly and politely. I ordered the pair last Wednesday. They called me on Thursday just to let me know the speakers had been shipped and let me know if I had any questions or problems I should call them. I was impressed with this.

The speakers arrived with a free set of floor spikes for each speaker. They were double boxed with peanuts between the boxes. The box they were in was lined with 1" styrofoam(sp?) sheets. They appear to be nicely built and feel very sturdy. My only complaint on their construction is that the side firing sub doesnt have a grill over it. It just has a piece of black grill cloth over it.

I hook them up in my small 10' by 11' bedroom. They are set off to the right on the 11' wall. The sit about 5ft away from my normal listening position. The mids are nice and detailed. Listening to Mosquito Song by Queens of the stone age the Piano solo sounded nice and accurate. Vocals are a bit off. Not bright just a bit off. I think I may be too close to them. It would probably do better in a larger room. On yo Staind's Epiphany. Yet again Aaron Lewis's great voice is somewhat off. If I lean back against the rear wall it starts to sound a little better. The side firing 10" subs are a bit overpowering and just a bit boomy. Could be a locational issue as well. the right speaker is in a corner about 1.5' from the wall and the left is sandwhiched between my entertainment system and a bookshelf with only an inch on either side. I think these two things could be the cause of the boominess but for the size of my room its a bit much. After break in and when I rearrange my room this may change.

I am satisfied with them for the price I paid. I just need to do something with the overpowering bass and get a bit further back from the tweets. If I cant get them to sound right I will move them to the much larger living room and let my roomates use them and pick up a nice set of bookshelfs. If you are looking for a cheap set of floorstanders and you dont want a separate sub I would recommend getting these.

2. Andrew S-

I guess no one is interested in Fluance.

3. Rick Ewing

Rick Ewing Agent

It's not that. For some of us, Fluance's prices are so good that they are suspect. Some believe that they are the same speakers as many "white van" scams. That view might be unfair...who knows? But it causes many of us to parse our words about Fluance very carefully...or not comment at all.

4. Andrew S-

I bought some "white van" speakers as a temporary fix (same reason I bought these fluance speakers) that I gave to my parents once I was moved out. To be honest they werent bad for the $200 I paid for the pair. These Fluance speakers are of the same caliber. Not great by any means but not bad for the price.

I think I would have rather had the Wharfedale Valdus 500s I bought off ebay. They sounded a lot better but they only sent me one. I still havent been refunded on them yet. My only complaint with them was their drivers were very cheap looking.

After more listening time I am getting more and more annoyed by the boominess of these. My roomate likes that though so I think I will sell them to him.

5. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

I have teh ES-1s and love them. Very clear and precise. Great soundstage.

Maybe you need to tune your speakers up before selling them off. Also, the fluance speakers need about 10 hours of break in time. They loosen up and get better over time.

6. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

It sounds like you've got too much speaker for a small room. I don't think the speakers are at fault.
    I have the sx-htb set in my 450 sq. ft. basement room and it's not boomy at all. You're going to have to deal with the accoustics of the room. Here's a link to accoustics.
    http://www.psaudio.com/articles/listening_room_4.asp
    I like the idea of books stacked up in corners as diffusers.

7. Andrew S-

Yeah my initial though was that the room is too small.

I plan on testing them in the living room sometime. There is no reciever there and I don't plan on moving mine out right now so it may be awhile. I plan on getting an eq soon i will be able to tone it down.