What's new

Quick and dirty (and sneaky) sub demo material (1 Viewer)

MarkFrab

Agent
My SVS Subs were delivered a day ahead of schedule, so I went home from work early to set them up.
By the time my wife got home everything was set up and calibrated. And I'd already listened to most of the demo discs (the ones I had) as listed in the SVS FAQ. :)
Anyway, by the time the wife got home I was pratically jumping up and down waiting to show her that the money was well spent.
I had already turned evrything on except for the sub amp and had put in Saving Private Ryan. The menu has that loop which includes the stormy sky with lightning and thunder, right? ;)
So I was puttering around a bit, letting the loop run, and then casually walked over and turned the amp on. :D
When the next bit of thunder played, her head whipped around, her eyes got big and round and her jaw practically hit the floor! :laugh:
It was like one of those MasterCard commercials:
  • 56" Widescreen HDTV: $4,000
  • Progressive scan DVD player: $740
  • SVS subwoofer system: $1,700
  • Feeling thunder roll through your basement: Priceless

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Congratulations on the new subs, Mark! Just out of curiousity, which model did you get? At that price, I'm guessing a pair of 16-46CS+.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
Nice. It's always a thrill to get the S.O. to not only approve, but to enjoy the benefits of super sound.

MarkFrab

Agent
J.Fo:
Yes it was the 16-46CS+ pair. I say, go as low as you can and get two if you want more SPL. :D
Regards.

MarkHendrickson

Auditioning
Mark,

I had a similar experience with my wife. She sat down to read the mail as I put on the 13th Warrior -- the first DVD we played. The opening scene definitely was an "experience" and I caught her with a big smile on her face. It helped her get over the fact that pair of 16-46 CS+ are bigger than she imagined they would be.

The only snag we had was that the UPS we had all the equipment connected to could not handle the load of the Sampson and neither could the circuit. We actually ran the movie for 15 minutes on battery until I heard the UPS alarm! I will be putting in a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the Samson and for the upcoming Outlaw 770 this weekend. For now we are running the Sampson on the washer/dryer circuit via an extension cord.

These are nice problems to have...

MarkFrab

Agent
Mark,
Yes, I had already tripped the circuit breakers a few times before I got the subs. To be fair, I was trying to run a Sunfire Theater Grand II (425W*5 channels) for my speakers and a Carvin DCM2000 (700W*2) for my Buttkickers, along with the RPTV, sat receivers, VCRs, etc... plus 2 computers - all on a 15 amp circuit. :b
So I did what any reasonable home owner would do - I ran 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits for the home theater. :D
Did connecting your amp to another circuit and any ground loop hum? When I ran my new circuits I made sure the entire basement was on the same branch of the distribution panel.
I'm playing with the idea of running one more 15 amp circuit to run all the digital gear - but I probably wont do that. I mean, that would be overkill, right? ;)
Regards.

MarkHendrickson

Auditioning
Mark,

I'm just getting caught up on the postings here...

Yes, the new 20 amp circuits did take care of a slight groundloop hum that we were experiencing. We are using one circuit for the home theater and the other for all of our computers and printers. I wish that I could run another circuit but I'm out of slots in our box.

I installed a second UPS just for fun. That way the servers and the home theater PCs will not quit abruptly. Rebuilding those isn't any fun!

Richard_s

Second Unit
They have double breakers that mount in a single full width slot. They probably make ones that are designed for your circuit breaker box. Just a thought.

BTW: I have a few doubles in my house. The previous owner had tons of circuits put in when the house was built so I had a main box and a subpanel to start with. I put in another subpanel when I added a bedroom, a study (used for computers) and my family room where my HT resides. My house has three breaker boxes a MAIN and two Sub panels. I just wanted as much as I could on dedicated circuits.

MarkFrab

Agent
Yeah, Richard, that's what I used too - a 2 pole standard width breaker that gave me 2 20 amp circuits.

Mark, some distribution centers also take 1/2 width breakers - if you can't find or otherwise use a double you could replace a few.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks