What's new

Quick, a CHEAP Hard Drive for video editing (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
DVD authoring, that sort of stuff. I figured I would be comfy with 80GB? Perhaps even 40GB?

I don't see myself doing much editing or burning and such after I am done archiving the 40 hours or so of material that I have right now, except for the occasional new footage every couple of months (holidays, trips, special events).

Newegg has this thing for $61.50 shipped:

Excel Stor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model J680, OEM Drive only

Model# J680
Item # N82E16822162002

Specifications:
Capacity: 80 GB
Average Seek Time: 8.5 ms
Buffer: 2 MB
Rotational Speed: 7,200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Features: Load/Unload Mechanism Non Head Disk Contact Start-Stop, FDB Motor, 350G Shock resistance
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
Packaging: OEM Drive Only

Never heard of this brand... whaddayathink?

Edited to add:

SEAGATE 80.0GB 7200RPM 9.4MS BARRACUDA ATA V (ST380023A)

$53 from PCMicrostore.

??

--
H

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
You'd only save about $20 going from 80GB to 40GB, so you might as well go with 80GB. Never heard of ExcelStor either, and this translated bit from their website isn't encouraging: Maybe there's no direct correlation, but....

You can get a Western Digital with a 8MB buffer at Newegg for $5 more. Hmm, they actually charge less for shipping. So that's... $2.75 more?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Whoa! I am all over that, except it's sold out :frowning:

I will call local the local store.

--
H

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry about that, I swear when I put the link up it was still available. I would likely have gotten one except I got the same drive at BB a couple ago for 70 and didn't figure it be worth the trouble of returning those for the extra 10 since the store's an hour away.

There have been a lot of rebates on Seagate's lately -- almost weekly at either BB or CompUsa (or Fry's if you have a local) so wait a week and it may show up again. They also had a 120GB last week for 50 after MIR. These are great drives for upgrading TIVO since they run quieter than most of the other big drives.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, great deal, I just need to think this through a bit - I am really trying very hard to stop spending on stuff I don't need.

Ken, I never did thank you for your input, much appreciated. That ExcelStor blurb is hilarious.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks