Questons About Direct Tivo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stan T, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

I need to get something to record sports off of Direct TV. Is Direct Tivo the best piece of hardware to get? Where is the best place to purchase Direct Tivo & the best price? All of this is new to me so any help would be appreciated. Is there a monthly fee? Can you record for a longer time in case the game goes into overtime?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Directivo is definitely the way to go. The gadget records the digital signal, not eh converted-to-TV signal, so the picture you see later has no loss in picture quality. There is no time length limitation as there is with tape, so to guard against overtime I just record the game and the program immediately after the game. I understand that DirecYV has changes the pricing structure recently, so there may be a requisite monthly fee - you used to be able to get a "lifetime" subscription - so I can't advise on that or a good place to buy one...just do it, you won't be sorry.

4. Scott-bonscott

Scott-bonscott Auditioning

You can gets tons of information on Tivo's web site and stop by the Tivo Community at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
    There is a whole forum dedicated to DirecTivo's. Do a search there and you'll find answers to just about anything you want to know.
    I've had one for nearly 2 years, put in a 120 gb hard drive so I can now record 120+ hours of stuff. You can't beat it and all for $5 bucks a month or free depending on your package. I tell it to record Buffy and it records it. I don't even know what night Buffy is really on. Hockey game starts at 7:30, can't be home until 8? No problem. It's recording away, you get home at 8 and start watching while it's still recording. You might "catch up to live" tv around the third period or so, all the while not watching a single commercial and you save a half hour of your time. I could go on, but I won't. [​IMG]

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer