Queston about hooking up VCR and still being able to record programs.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt_Smi, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Currently I have a coax cable for cable TV coming from the wall into my VCR’s coax input and then I have another coax cable going from my VCR’s output into my T.V. Along with this I also have a standard RCA composite audio/video cable running the VCR’s output into one of my TV’s video inputs. This setup allows me to watch the T.V or the VCR while still recording shows at the same time. Now my two questions are, one does running the coax cable though my VCR reduce picture quality of cable TV noticeably? And two could I hook my VCR up by having one RCA audio/video cable running from the VCR’s output into of my TV’s inputs (like I have now) and another RCA audio/video cable running from my TV’s monitor video output into the VCR’s input, and leave out the coax connection all together? Would I still be able to record TV shows with this setup? Thanks.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you did it the second way, you'd be at the mercy of using the TV's tuner to record progams and couldn't watch one thing while recording another.

If you're concerned about video quality, connect the cable TV coax feed to the TV, look at the video quality, and compare it to when you connect the coax through the VCR and then pass it to the TV and see if the video quality looks too poor to live with.

You can also try just using a coax splitter to feed the VCR and the TV, and then rely on the VCR's A/V RCA output to feed the TV's A/V input if you want to watch VCR tapes (or the TV tuning from the VCR to monitor what will be recorded on the VCR).

3. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Ok thanks, I guess I will just leave it the way it is then. I honestly don’t even think that there is a noticeable difference in picture quality when running it thought the VCR V.S. running it straight to the T.V. I mean it’s a low quality coax connection anyway, not component. Plus to do it the other way I mentioned I would have to buy another cable. I was just wondering if it was an option.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Also if you used the TV's "Outputs" to record from the TV would have to be "on" Which means if you were going to record something when you wern't home your TV would have to have a timer on it so the TV would turn "on" I would use the setup you have now unless the VCR is "Really" downgrading the picture & if it is then I would buy a good 2-way spliter & you could use the cable that ran from the the VCR to the TV to connect to the splitter so all you would have to buy is the splitter. I have seen some VCR's that really will downgrade the picture & I've seen some that you can't even tell that the signal was split & the same thing applies to spliters so make sure you get a good splitter if you go that route.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Splitter. I'd buy one with extra outputs for further expansion, if so desired, like: Tivo or DVD recorder. Everytime you switch NTSC into RF and back you degrade the signal. Why do it a second time? Buy a cable and a splitter and do it right, me thinks. Leave the RF set-up there if you use it for PIP or something like that, but add a composite or S-video out from your VCR, whichever it has. It can't be that expensive for you to wire your stuff up most excellently, eh? Best wishes![​IMG]