What's new

Questoin about DIRECTV w/ TIVO deal... (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I've been looking into this deal where you only pay $99 for the 2 tuner 35 hr receiver, and have some very simple questions. Can someone who took advantage of this deal give me the model number of the receiver? I'd like to know about the receiver before purchasing. Does it have S-Video or component output? Has anyone here dared to add a better HD to the system? I'm guessing if you do that then your warranty is voided immediately, but I'd still like to have more then 35 hrs (probably just because I know that's the basic model :b .)

I've read through the other threads dealing with comparisons mostly, and haven't seen any of these issues brought up...

Thanks for the replies... and I think I'll mention that I'm working 40+ hrs in the next 3 days so any questions posed to me might take a while to be answered. It's not that I forgot about this thread, I just don't know if I'll be able to get on here at all.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most are the Hughes SD-DVR40 but it really doesn't matter. All of the 40GB models are identical inside the case.

-Robert

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've done a number of hard drive upgrades. For ease of upgrade I'd recommend a 120gig drive (or two 120gig drives). The TiVo kernel cannot see more than 137gigs per drive and bad things will happen if you put a 160gig drive in without hacking the kernel.

Look for a Samsung Spinpoint series drive. Nearly silent when placed in the TiVo.

If you'd like some help feel free to PM me. I can either help with the steps of the back-up (if you are comfortable w/ linux) or I may be able to provide a pre-formatted drive.

Neil

SteveW

Agent
I've never heard of upgrading the hd in a TiVo receiver. Of course I have never had a TiVo so never put much thought into it. But I am considering switching to DTV from Dish and getting the TiVo. Can pretty much any hd work. Like a WD, Maxtor or Seagate. Any step by steps for doing this??

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator

There are tons of things you can do with your TiVo and many good resources on how to do it. If you are comfortable with Linux and tearing apart the box it's not too hard, just a bit tense the first time you try. I have no issues with ripping out the drive and putting it in my computer.

One of the greatest hacks you can do (which goes beyond the hard drive upgrade) is TiVoWeb which allows you to control your TiVo via eithernet and a web browser. Some people even have mail clients installed so they can read their e-mail on the TV.

If you are not comfortable with the Linux side you can buy pre-upgraded drives that all you need to do is stick in the TiVo and you're good to go.

http://sourceforge.net/ has a really good open-source community for hacks.

Also, please understand that by "hacks" I in NO way mean stealing the TiVo service or the DirecTV service.

Perhaps this should move to the PVR forum?

Neil

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies guys.

I appreciate all the precise answers. I now have none left at the moment! Any ones of doubt I had, seem to have been answered by the linnks in the thread.

Neil, I might take you up on that offer so you might hear from me in a week or so. As much as I'm at work right now, I'm not sure when I'll be able to be home to have them do the installation.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
In my research, I discovered there are apparently beta testers out there testing HDTV Directv Tivo unit. It has 250 GB so it stores about 20 hrs of HD and 200 of standard. Also, the retail price right now is planned to be $1100?, I forget when it was supposed to come out though.

Users who are viewing this thread