What's new

Questions- Xbox and TVs (16x9 & 4x3 related) (1 Viewer)

Dan Kolacz

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I have not been here for a while, and this may have been covered at lenght before...if so, please direct me to thread. Thanks!

Anyways, here are my questions.

1) If I am playing an Xbox game that supports 480p (they all do I think) and I have the Xbox configured to output standard 4x3. Is the TV going to display a FULL screen "progressive" image?

2) If I have a 16x9 TV and the Xbox is configured to output 16x9. What happens when you play a game that only supports 480p?

3) Owners of 16x9 TVs and Xbox.....As far as the stretch modes on 16x9 TVs for normal 4x3 content. Are these distracting/noticeable in video games?

I am in the market for a new TV and am looking at both the Sony KP-53HS20 and the Sony 57" widescreen.

I watch an equal amount of standard TV programming, DVD and XBOX use.

Thanks for any comments

Tim Hess

Second Unit
1) If I am playing an Xbox game that supports 480p (they all do I think) and I have the Xbox configured to output standard 4x3. Is the TV going to display a FULL screen "progressive" image?
All Xbox game soutput at 480p by default!
2) If I have a 16x9 TV and the Xbox is configured to output 16x9. What happens when you play a game that only supports 480p?
You still get 16x9 - I've tried to adjust my screen ratio, but once turned on, I'm locked in.
3) Owners of 16x9 TVs and Xbox.....As far as the stretch modes on 16x9 TVs for normal 4x3 content. Are these distracting/noticeable in video games?
Not at all, the games look great.
I went with a Panasonic 47WX49 HD.

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
"1) If I am playing an Xbox game that supports 480p (they all do I think) and I have the Xbox configured to output standard 4x3. Is the TV going to display a FULL screen "progressive" image?"

It sounds like you're a little bit unclear as to what exactly progressive scan means.

An interlaced frame on your TV (480i) is actually drawn as 2 fields, even lines in one field and odd lines in the next sort of like this:

Field 1:

Field 2:

Put them together and you get the entire frame.

Progressive does it all in order:

So, it doesn't matter what shape the image is being displayed, it can be either interlaced or progressive, prgressive just looks better. The X-Box will display a full-screen progressive image without a problem.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Patti,
There is a very good/extensive thread on this forum in another section here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=8539
You might want to try that out for more information. From what I understand, games that are output 16:9 natively should all look good on a widescreen TV. Other games, it seems to depend. Check the above thread for specific games that you may be interested in. That being said, the non 16:9 games that I have (Halo, NFL Fever and PGR) look fine in 16:9 mode on my 50" Toshiba.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks