Questions regarding upgrading a PC's Memory

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Seaman, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Should I have any concern over the brand on memory I put in my PC? I've got a Dell Dimension 4100 with only 128 MB, looking to add another 256 MB.

This week, Best Buy has RK-Byte 256MB PC133 SDRAM for $29.99 after rebates.

Crucial.com is running 256MB for $47.69. The info on their web site leads one to believe that their RAM is of higher quality than others. Is there a benefit of buying memory similar to what Crucial sells over the brand at Best Buy?

Crucial brings up a second question. If I buy from them, I have to decide between CL=3 and CL=2. If CL=2 is "faster" and the same price, why would I have the choice to buy CL=3 in the first place?

Thanks for any help.

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

If you have local stores (say, BestBuy) that offers a better price, I would recommend you to go with the local first, as even if it doesn't work, you can just return them easily (unlike ordering online, where you have to wait for it to arrive, and even with the best of them, you have to send it back if it does not work, more often than not, you have to pay for the shipping and even restock fee).

Personally, I have a 2 months old Dimension 4400, also came with 128MB (DDR). If you go to Dell's user forum, all these people all say go Crucial, and even have Crucial's link on their posts. I went to my local Frys, asked for the cheapest generic 512MB DDR, not a single problem, I eventually got 2 of those for a total of 1G of RAM. Saved about $70 off Crucial's discounted web price, no waiting, and I spent the savings on a Lite-On DVD still with $30+ left over.

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I've bought twice from Crucial.com and have been VERY pleased with the service and the price. I hear a lot of people have problem with cheap ram. It's easy to install so you may wany to take a chance, but when I upgrade I want it to go as smooth as posssible.

4. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

It actually does matter if you're a hardware enthusiast who overclocks..otherwise it really doesn't matter. Some 'no name' manufacturers just take some ram and up their timings and remark them instead of making a new process.

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>It actually does matter if you're a hardware enthusiast who overclocks..