What's new

Questions regarding Shiva, necessary power, and bottoming out (1 Viewer)

VinhT

Second Unit
A Shiva in a 113L(4ft^3) box tuned to 20Hz seems to give a similar response to the SVS 20-39PC+, so I'm pretty set on this configuration for now.

How much power do I need to get the sound pressure level from the Shiva sub to match the SVS (if it's even possible)? I know a lot of people here use just one 250W plate amp, yet are able to bottom out their Shivas, which worries me. Would 250W be enough to keep up with a 20-39PC+(525W)? If not, would it at least be enough to beat a 20-39PCi(320W)? Using LspCAD from Adire's website, I am unable to get more than 106dB at 20Hz without the cone excursion reaching peak-to-peak Xmax at 30Hz.

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Vinh

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Keep in mind that 500 watts is 3db louder than 250 watts.

What I recommend doing is getting a tempest which is 5db more sensitive than the Shiva for $25 extra. The drawback is you'll need a larger box for a smooth response to the 20s but the benefit is a sub comparible to the SVS Ultra.

If you're set on a Shiva and 250 watts, don't expect loud levels to 20hz. I tried the box and if I did it correctly you should be able to get a good response at 105db with the -3db downpoint @ 20hz. (No over excursion)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The Shiva with a 250W plate amp in an appropriate allignment should be very close to a SVS PCi series sub. And like Chris said the best comparison for a Tempest in an appropriate allignment is the Ultra. If you can live with the size, the Tempest is a no brainer over the Shiva.

The Dayton 12" Titanic driver would be a good comparison to the PC+. Also if you can way a while Stryke has a new driver called the AV12 coming out that should be somewhere between a PC+ and an Ultra (possibly closer to an Ultra).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks