Questions Regarding Receiver DD/DTS Decoders (Yamaha & Denon in particular)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike corwin, Aug 27, 2001.

1. mike corwin

mike corwin Auditioning

Howdy, I'm currently using a Yamaha DSP-A3090 (predecessor to the A-1) fo my main setup, and am now finding it (seemingly) to be obsolete in terms of passing a Dolby Digital signal.
    It has one AC-3 RF input, which in turn requires a coax RF output from the source (LD, DVD etc.). This configuration also requires an audio (analog or optical) connection, which worked fine with my trusty Pioneer LD player. For years, I've been able to work around the issue, by having the Denon DVD-2000, which had an on-board DD decoder.
    In changing to a Pioneer Elite DV-37 recently, a player that has no built-in decoder (but passes both DD and DTS via digital outputs), I see no way to get the DD signal given the Yamaha's connection options. Does anyone see a remedy that I may be missing? Has the "RF" input gone the way of the dinosaur?
    Given my current dilemma, I'm thinking about purchasing a Denon AVR-3802. Do the current crop of A/V receivers with built-in decoders merely require connection to their digital audio inputs to get DD and/or DTS, or do they also require an additional step?
    Thanks for any assistance in advance.

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

3. mike corwin

mike corwin Auditioning

Thanks for the input, Todd. Yup, I had considered an outboard DD decoder, but preferred to upgrade the receiver instead.
    I like the 3090, and it has several optical inputs, but in my experience, the only way to get the DD (AC-3) signal was directly through the RF input, or by using another component that had a built-in decoder. Other digital signals would default to Pro Logic at best.
    Ordered the 3802, so I'll finally get to see what all the fuss is about DTS. [​IMG] I'm keeping the Denon DVD player and the 3090 together in a separate room, so all is well.
    Don't use the LD player much anymore, so I guess I'll make do with Pro Logic I or II.