Questions regarding installing a new CDRW

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I just got a new CDRW (LiteOn 40x12x48 with Nero 5.5 software), but it's still in the box. Before I take this plunge, is there anything I should know that would make this installation go smoothly? Or should it be a straightforward deal (yeah, right)?

I'm running Windows XP on a Pentium 3, 650 mhz, 380 RAM.

Is XP going to automatically find the device and install it? Should I try uninstalling my previous CD ROM software first? And if so, won't that affect my PC's ability to read and install the new software?

Part of the instructions says to "connect CD Rewriter to the secondary IDE port first and enable DMA mode for getting best system performance". Does this sound reasonable? How is it done?

Any advice appreciated.

Jon

2. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

If XP can't plug-and-play it, then XP is a bigger piece of crap than I previously thought.

hahaha... just kidding, all you XP guys out there.

It should work fine. Turn it off, plug it in, and turn it back on. I'd leave your old software for now. XP should ignore the old stuff and then you can uninstall it/delete it at your leisure.

It's nice to have the burner on the second IDE cable, but no biggie. I have both of my CD-roms on the same cable along with a hard drive or two, and the only thing you can't do with them on the same cable is to do on-the-fly cd-copying from one drive to the other. But that can corrupt data, so you usually wouldn't want to do that anyway. I can also only use one cd drive at a time. If I'm burning a disc, I can't watch a movie in the DVD-rom at the same time.

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

4. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

OK...I'm going to give this a shot now and I'll post back my results. If you don't hear back from me, I've fried something.

What is DMA mode and how do I enable it??

Thanks to all,

Jon

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Plug N Play my arse.

I removed the old drive and put in the new, carefully replacing all cables/connections as they were in the old. I expected Windows to tell me it found new hardware, but it didn't. I inserted the Nero CD and expected it to start, but it didn't. I tried start/run/D: and expected a window to open so I could browse the CD, but it didn't.

Instead, the window froze. Then again. Then again.

I tried other CD ROMs and audio CDs. No go.

Why is this not working???

Thanks to everyone,

Jon

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Is your CD burner in slave mode? Am I correct in assuming you attached the burner to the same cable as your hard drive? It really should be on a separate IDE cable (secondary).

Windows won't tell you if you installed a new drive or CD-ROM...it doesn't need to. Usually it notifies you when installing printers, PCI cards, or USB devices. This is normal.

Can you tell us more about your computer? Like, what motherboard, hard drive, the arrangement of your IDE cables (what is connected), etc.

8. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks a lot, Max (and others), but I think I have it working.

I needed to move a jumper on the back of the CD-ROM drive - I'm sure it's related to the master/slave bizness - and that did the trick.

Now I have to figure out how to use Nero for backing up my files (any tips welcomed).

Thanks again,

Jon

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Ah glad you got it fixed! Enjoy your drive! [​IMG]

10. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Speaking of CDRW, has anyone run across the dreaded "(Drive): is not accessible. Incorrect function." in Win2k? My cdrw and new dvdrw are both dead. I've switched IDE cables, jumpers, and just about everything else. Only my dvd-rom works. I read something about Direct CD or Easy CD Creator can screw up writable drives. Anyone experienced this?

Thanks and best regards,
    ~~Nathan

11. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Nathan...It was when I upgraded to XP that I got the same message and had the same problem with my CD writer (the CD ROM still worked fine). I was told that Direct CD and Easy CD Creator were not compatible with XP (don't know about Windows 2K). That's what started me searching for a new CD writer.

Works like a champ, now. Nero is pretty sweet.

Jon

12. Nathan_R

alright, so if I upgrade to XP do I have to backup any program or data files first? My wife is tired of me backing up bookmarks, text documents, and timesheets before I reinstall W2k. Can I upgrade without losing any of those files?

13. Nathan_R

nevermind, $200 later I know the answer to the XP question. Now to see if the dvd+rw and cdrw drives work again...
    [​IMG]
    ~~Nathan

14. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

In case anyone's joining in late, yes, yes, yes...back up everything. I lost a bunch of Word documents, emails, and email addresses when I upgraded to XP.

Jon

15. Nathan_R

I lost nothing. [​IMG] Actually I was lucky. I did have a grand old time trying to reconfigure Nortel's Extranet Access Client. Had to upgrade and mess with my router's settings. Fun Fun Fun.
    For those of you with the Nortel EAC who are thinking about upgrading to WinXP, be prepared for the possibility of problems...some companies have misconfigurations in their servers' banner text which are fine in Win2k but stick out like a sore thumb in XP.
    [​IMG]
    Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

16. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

I have a question about the audio connection from the CDROM to the speakers. I bought a used system with an AMD Athlon 700 and an Epox 7KXA. Right now the CDROM is not connected to the MoBo directly with an audio cable. Instead, I was told "You can connect a cable to the motherboard, but you don't need to if you're running XP.
    XP routes the cd audio digitally through the sound card,
    whereas older operating systems required the cd audio cable."

Does this make sense? I have faith in the individual who told me this but I was also wondering if anyone else has this knowledge. The MoBo has 4 pins next to a cd label but the pins are bare; no connector like I'm used to seeing.

Thanks for you help amd I'm sorry if I hijacked this thread.:b

17. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure if you want to listen to audio CD's from your CD-ROM drive you have to connect the audio cable to the sound card.

18. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter