What's new

Questions regarding HDMI cables, Sound, Bluray, TV? (1 Viewer)

mcella1980

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Cella
Ok so Im the type that likes to do A LOT of research before purchasing anything. So real quick ill show the list of recently purchased items:
1) LG 50PA6500 50-Inch 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV
2) LG NB3520A 300watt Soundbar Wireless Sub
3) LG BP620 3D Blu-ray player
4) Monster MP HTS 1600 8-Outlet Power Center with Stage 2 Clean Power
5) Audioquest HDMI (chocolate)
Thats about it. Surprisingly all of this cost me about $1254...
Anyway, I just want to know a few things. First off, I know this is a Low Low budget set up. I live in an apartment so I'm not looking to piss off the neighbors just yet...
So number 1:
The TV... Its plasma, it looks great... But, its rated 600hz, I kinda thought it would have that feel to it like the 240hz LED tv's I see at bestbuy where the movie looks like it was shot with a camcorder as far as the motion flow goes. (almost fake looking) This tv doesnt do that. How come?
Number 2:
Im looking up bluray players and now all of a sudden this 4k stuff is poppin up everywhere, mainly with Sony. 4K supposed to give 4 times the res then 1080p... Would I even notice that? I did read that its more or less technology that hasn't even come out yet. Also will some bluray players make the picture quality better then others? I also have a Sony BDP-S570 that ive had for a couple of years now. Is this still a good player or is upgrading a good idea?
Number 3:
Monster vs. Audioquest?
I know the story, ex founder bounced and did his own thing with Audioquest... somthing like that. But whos better? and does it really make that much of a difference in picture quality?
Number 4:
TV Calibration... Any ideas on how to "Do it yourself"?
Thats about it.... Any tips regarding the set up I have would be cool too.... Just to save those of you the finger workout... Don't give me advise to buy better shit... :rolleyes:
I already know, like I said I have an apartment and this is ideal for now.
Thanks in advance

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
1) I can't really offer any input here, because I am among those that much prefer any sort of artificial image "processing" be disabled on my display. IIRC, though, plasma displays don't do the same sort of image manipulation that LCD-based displays do. They add the "600Hz" sticker on the box so that consumers think they're getting "better" than 240Hz (hey, the number is bigger, it must be better, right?) Fact is, it's best to watch material in it's native format. NOTHING out there produces more than 60Hz. So if your source is producing a signal that changes 60 times a second, but your display refreshes 600 times a second, it simply means that the same "frame" is being drawn 10 times in a row...

IMO, nothing to be worried about unless you LIKE the "Soap Opera Effect" in which case, get an LCD

2) 4k is mostly a pipe dream for now - cerainly so for home use. Again, your display has a single resolution - 1920x1080. ANY signal sent to it is scaled to that resolution. Even IF there were readily available (and affordable) consumer electronic products that produced a 4k image, the difference at 55" would be in all likelihood imperceptible.

3) Monster and Audioquest are both excellent ways to burn your money. Both are a waste, IMO. Get a $6 cable from monoprice and it will be fine. I have a 25 foot monoprice "premium cable" for my projector that works flawlessly. I sacrificed, I think, about $25 dollars for it. It's beefy as hell and won't ever need to be replaced.

By the way, I'll add one more thing to the whole "cable myth" - cables that are "certified" or that "support" 240Hz (or greater) signals is complete and utter BS for the exact reason I mentioned above - NOTHING outputs more than 60 Hz. The conversion from 60 Hz to 240/480/600 takes place IN THE DISPLAY. The cable NEVER CARRIES the higher refresh rate signal.

4) Best way to DIY calibrate a display is with a calibration disc such as Avia II, Spears and Munsil, or Digital Video Essentials. There may be others, too. I had the old SD version of Avia and liked it because it included color filters for getting the color just right, and I had a CRT RPTV at the time. Make sure you calibrate the display under "typical" viewing conditions (lighting) and verify the calibration settings after you've had the display for a few months, as the picture is most likely to "acclimate" over the first few hundred hours of use.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Welcome to HTF, Marc!
I can't answer all your questions, but I do believe that 4K is a red herring for the home. It might be worthy if you have a projector and a very large screen and sit closer than normal to it, but for practical use, it's more appropriate for movie theaters.
As for HDMI cables, I use MonoPrice and Amazon Basics. Digital is digital. You don't need an expensive cable to see it, although you do need HDMI 1.4-compatible cables for 3D.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Steve Tannehill said:
although you do need HDMI 1.4-compatible cables for 3D.
I keep seeing this around the net and I think its incorrect. HDMI cables do not come in different HDMI specifications, and never have afaik.
They do, however, come in two speeds: standard and high speed. High speed is rated to pass 1080p and has absolutely nothing to do with the port specification. Please correct me if Im wrong...

mcella1980

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Cella
Yeah I agree with everything you've said... All the research I've done has pretty much produced those same answers. I wanted to ask these questions to get a more personal answer rather then checking other sites that are more geared toward another specific person.
(if that made any sense haha)
As for the cables... There is no way I would pay full price for monster or audioquest... Fortuanatly I browse Amazon on a daily basis (at work :D) and found that Audioquest Chocolate cable for $15, and 3 Monster MC 1000HD-2M Ultra-High Speed cables for $8 each. Gotta love bargin shoppin!
Thank you for the great advise, it kind of puts my mind at ease. Im one of those "have to have the greatest latest thing" even though Im only rockin LG haha.... I do have to admit though, that LG Soundbar is pretty damn good. I had to turn the bass down to -1 because it was sooo deep. Even at -1 its perfect.
Any thoughts about LG? First time Ive ever bought LG before and honestly have no regrets.... yet.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only HDMI cables I buy(and mainly cause I get them wholesale) are Vanco. I get them for less than MonoPrice and BlueJeans.
Essentially I give them away. I think I have a box of 20 HDMI cables sitting in the car.
And yes, there is only standard speed, high speed and High speed with ethernet*...which I don't think anything uses "with ethernet" because it is something that should have arrived with 1.2...not 1.4. "With ethernet" is essentially, late to the party.
600hz plasma and 60hz/120hz/240hz/480hz have absolutely nothing to do with each other. And yes, plasma makers added "ours is 600hz" just to slap a number on there. Since we have a B&M filled with "idiot sales clerks" marketplace, plasma has been fighting back against the misinformation and gimmicks LCD gets away with.
*There is "mini" HDMI as well...but for "home use" there are only three.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks